Logo

Oil Crusader 8.1

smbdck

I use to use Shell Rotella 15w-40 for all my oil changes. However, I now see that Shell Rotella is for diesel engines only and does not meet the API specs for gas engines . What is a good alternative oil to use ?

Press releases....I prefer to look at the jug....that said, there are multiple 'flavors' of Rotella.

As far as alternatives go, I think you will get a variety of opinions....Any oil with the appropriate API rating and the proper viscosity should do just fine. I'd stick with a brand name - personally, I prefer mobil 1 full synthetic, even in my flat tappet engines.....if has performed very well for me, for over three decades now...in multiple engines, in all applications.

I know several boaters who have gas motors and have switched to Chevron Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40. With that said is it ok to mix different brands of oil ? Reason I ask is, I have 2 unopened quarts of the old Rotella that I would like to use up on my next oil change with Delo.

I don't see any issue for the situation described.....though I'd discourage it for a routine practice......just too many variables in the proprietary formulae....

Back