Logo

125 HP Force dies when i hit the throttle

chrismythe17

I am a new member here and new to owning a boat so im hoping i can get some help. I have a 87 trophy with a 125 hp force on it. I just got it out of the shop yesterday, needless to say im not very happy with their services. I took the boat out this morning and the motor started just fine, took a couple minutes to warm up but everything seemed good. After about 30 minutes on the river the motor died when i hit the throttle. It also died when i put it in reverse but automatically kicked back on when in neutral. I tried the throttle probably about 10 times no luck so we popped the top and manually adjusted the throttle. This seemed to at least temporarily fix the problem. But being a new boat owner i was afraid of getting stuck so we went back in and called it for the day. The carburetor is pretty dirty, the needle adjustment screw was so corroded it broke when we got back to the house to tinker with it.. Considering the shop supposedly serviced the motor and tuned the carburetor i dont understand how this is possible. My guess is it is the carburetor but i am new to all this and dont know if it might be something else. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? It was kind of odd to me that the engine kicked back on automatically when i put it back in neutral.

Sounds like your "shop" screwed you.
If the screw broke then they didn't do a thing to the carb.

It sounds like your gonna need a new carb if the screw broke off in the body??

Try taking it apart and see how dirty the insides are?

I'm sending you a PM (personal message) about some parts I have.

No way should the motor turn back on by itself once it's stalled??

Here are some picture of the carb. The broken screw is behind the top cover. Is this screw what adjusts how much fuel comes in? If someone could tell me the correct name for it that would be awesome.

Attachments

• received_2038220142854918.jpg
    received_2038220142854918.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 46
  • received_2038219696188296.jpg
    received_2038219696188296.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 46
  • received_2038219189521680.jpg
    received_2038219189521680.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 41
  • received_2038218812855051.jpg
    received_2038218812855051.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 37
That screw is an air/fuel metering screw.
It sets he amount of air/fuel being burned at idle.
After that the main jet takes over.

It needs to be set at 1 1/2 turn out for initial setup.
Then adjusted in the water and in gear.

It's NOT for setting the idle up or down.
The towershaft does that.

Thank you for your help in advance.

I have an 89 bayliner with an 85hp force motor in it. I purchased a few months ago, I ran in in the drive way with water muffles on for about 2 months while doing the upholstery ran fine, accelerated well, went into reverse, had high a boat mechanic come by and he adjusted the idle he stated it was running high, now previously it had a little trouble starting if I didn’t hold the key in and turn to on position, but once it started it ran good (on the muffs), after the mechanic left that evening I turned it over and it started first try after having the idle turn down. Still starting on firs try few days later, So feeling confident I took it to the river, it started right up but sounded like it had loss all its power, then after trying to give it some throttle, it dies, fires right back up but still sounds like it does have enough power. After about 5 starts I pull it out the water. Now on muffs it will start and die out after 8 seconds and faster if I try to give it any throttle.

Back