Logo

1989 Evinrude 100xp Power Head Removal

TallCanadian

So, I have a motor that overheats. Replaced impeller kit and thermostats. Still overheats. I decided to remove heads, covers, etc to check for blockages. How I decided to do this is to remove the power head. All went well until the last of six long motor bolts broke. It’s been a couple of days now and the power head has separated a little bit. I know that broken bolt is hanging me up. Any ideas or thoughts on how I can get this power head up. I’m at my wits end. I’ve tried lifting it from the back of the motor so to take the strain off the front bolts.

Thoughts?

I’ve used another bolt and put it in the hole of the broken bolt and tried to hammer upward. I can’t get a good hit on it. Not sure if I should be doing that or not. Lol. I used heat first. Tomorrow I will try more heat and maybe a little pry where it’s separating.

Use a 5/16" drill and drill from the side.------Near the top to cut the bolt.-------Those long bolts should have been given a drain hole at the factory to drain water out.------Just another oversight on a well built motor.

Use a 5/16" drill and drill from the side.------Near the top to cut the bolt.-------Those long bolts should have been given a drain hole at the factory to drain water out.------Just another oversight on a well built motor.

I'm not sure where exactly where you mean. Below the block? The exhaust housing?

Back