Logo

2005 sea ray 185 transom leak

Bfeils

I just took my boat out for the first time and it's taking on water. :mad:
On the trailer I put some water in the bilge area and as soon as it gets to the gimbal housing it starts dripping. I just put the motor back in after rebuilding it. What kind of job do i have ahead of me now. I'm sick about it.

m829d.jpg

Update:. Looks like all the nuts securing the gimbal housing are loose, like finger tight plus a half turn.

What would cause those to loosen? Is that common?

What's the torque spec?

I can reach all but one nut

loose nuts usually suggest a rotting/soft transom. You will most likely need to remove the motor, the inner and outer plates and examine the transom for rot and replace the sealing ring. Doubtful you can reach all the bolts and nuts to torque them correctly

loose nuts usually suggest a rotting/soft transom. You will most likely need to remove the motor, the inner and outer plates and examine the transom for rot and replace the sealing ring. Doubtful you can reach all the bolts and nuts to torque them correctly

That was my fear. I drilled two holes about an inch away from the gimbal ring where the nuts were the most loose and I got nothing but perfectly dry fresh plywood. Should I still suspect it is rotten? Pretty much all the nuts were loose and the ones at the top were the worst.

I also went to the lake after tightening the 7 I could reach and it seems to have stopped the leaking. I'm still not completely comfortable but I'm not sure what else to do.

This is the only way to be sure. Rot normally starts at the bottom around the drain hole and works up the transom. Pulling your engine seems intimidating, but once you've done it you'll find removing the upholstery to get it out was the worst part. I bought a $90 Harbor Freight 3000# chain lever hoist, secured it to a solid place in my garage roof trusses, and pulled the boat forward to clear.

Rot may be hidden behind the roving and paint on the transom. Poke around w/a screwdriver and hammer to get under the glass and see what you find. If nothing, you'll be able to tighten all gimbal plate fasteners. 30 ft lb if I remember.

This is the only way to be sure. Rot normally starts at the bottom around the drain hole and works up the transom. Pulling your engine seems intimidating, but once you've done it you'll find removing the upholstery to get it out was the worst part. I bought a $90 Harbor Freight 3000# chain lever hoist, secured it to a solid place in my garage roof trusses, and pulled the boat forward to clear.

Rot may be hidden behind the roving and paint on the transom. Poke around w/a screwdriver and hammer to get under the glass and see what you find. If nothing, you'll be able to tighten all gimbal plate fasteners. 30 ft lb if I remember.

Well, I've probed around and drilled a few holes. I can find no rot. Transom seems solid as a rock. I live in central Arizona and the boat has been here all it's life from what I've been told. I think transom rot on a boat with 200 hours is pretty rare around here. I'm not sure of the boats prior mechanical history so I don't know what's been done previously. I bought the boat as a non running fixer upper so I expected some problems. I've rebuilt the motor and it's running well but the water leak threw me for a loop when I first took it out on the lake.

Back