Logo

2005 Honda BF225 trim/tilt issues

MASpencer

Hello all, I have recently bought a ProLine with a 2005 Honda BF225 behind it. Everything worked great on it until my last 2 trips. I noticed coming into the slip the motor is jumping out of the water in reverse. Also I heard a awful noise when lowering and raising the trim motor, now I hear it every time when trying to lower the motor and it hits the trim cylinders. I’m scared to go any further down because it sounds like it’s about to blow up. I have a video of it doing it but can’t figure out how to post it. It thoughts would be great. Thank you.

You are going to need to pull the boat out. That "awful" noise was probably the ATF fluid being low. They are noisy when they get that way. First of all, make sure that the manual relief valve on the port side is fully closed. See your Owners Manual - Page 26 in mine. Then tilt up all the way, throw the tilt lock lever safety on the starboard side, and open up the trim fluid tank and top it off with ATF. Wipe the extended cylinders clean with a paper towel. Open the safety latch, drop it and raise it several times, then top off again. Repeat until it takes no more fluid. Give it time for the air bubbles to work their way to the fill tank. You should let it sit for at least 10 - 15 minutes before topping off each time. Inspect cylinders for any leaks. If leaks, you'll likely need to replace the outer seals, which takes a special tool to get the tops off.

If that doesn't fix the problem come back at us with more detail.

Awesome Chawk_man, I felt it might be low but when I checked it it seemed to have squirted out pretty quick. I will try what you stated when I get home and report back to you. Thank you very much.

Chawk, much smoother now. Thank you sir. I believe it must have been a air bubble. It’s a little slower now but I also believe my battery is about dead from playing with it.

Back