Logo

BF225 Pause Issue

ByrdmanFL

Contributing Member
One of my motors started doing something funny yesterday. I can run for a while and the motor loses power briefly but the RPMs stay constant. It actually feels like the motor pauses or drags for half a second. It will tilt up a little too when it pauses from the water pushing against the lower unit.

My first thought was maybe my prop is starting to slip on the hub but every time that has happened to me before, there would be a change in RPM's. I may mark it and go run it today to be sure. My next thought is that it may be an injector/fuel rail issue.

I also changed my Sierra fuel filters just in case when I got in yesterday, but if those were bad, I would think I would have other symptoms.

If anyone has any advice, please feel free to give it.

Thanks!
Byrdman

I would suggest that it is possible a heavy power drain could cause the problem you described, like when you activate the T/T switch while underway. Test it while underway. If that ID's the problem, you need to trace and inspect your T/T wiring between the battery, to the relay, to the T/T motor. The most vulnerable area on the T/T wiring is where it comes out of the cowling and snakes down to the motor. Also, check the connector from the T/T motor for corrosion.

I would suggest that it is possible a heavy power drain could cause the problem you described, like when you activate the T/T switch while underway. Test it while underway. If that ID's the problem, you need to trace and inspect your T/T wiring between the battery, to the relay, to the T/T motor. The most vulnerable area on the T/T wiring is where it comes out of the cowling and snakes down to the motor. Also, check the connector from the T/T motor for corrosion.

Thanks! I will try it, these motors are on a World Cat and I'm constantly adjusting the trim whlie under way when people move around and i have not noticed it when working the T/T.

I just had that T/T motor replaced so it may be a loose connection somewhere along the wire run.

Or the seal where the wire goes into the motor may have failed, allowing water to get into the motor. I've had that happen on my 225. You may want to check that if the other stuff checks out.

BTW - I have a list of API equivalent motors if you ever need to replace that T/T motor again. I think it cost me about $120 instead of the $350 for the Honda branded motor. It's still working fine after 9 years.

Or the seal where the wire goes into the motor may have failed, allowing water to get into the motor. I've had that happen on my 225. You may want to check that if the other stuff checks out.

BTW - I have a list of API equivalent motors if you ever need to replace that T/T motor again. I think it cost me about $120 instead of the $350 for the Honda branded motor. It's still working fine after 9 years.

Damn Man, you were right on with the electrical issue, just not the T/T. I recently changed out my ignition system, and the new one they sent me had an issue with the kill switch. It shut that motor off twice a few weeks ago, once we were 50 mile out Red Snapper fishing. Anyway, I would just wiggle the wires and it would start right back up.

I received my replacement ignition system, 36652-ZW7-310AH DUAL IGN W/STP-PGMFI, and installed it and it hasn't given me any issues since then. I thought I was dealing with a fuel issue the way it was acting, like a fuel injector issue. like it was temporarily losing a cylinder but RPMs stayed the same. I didnt think about spark, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the help!! I will be needing a replacement T/T I'm sure. One thing I have learned about twins is when one has an issue, it wont be long before it shows up in the other!!

Byrdman

Last edited:
Back