Logo

2014 Honda BF250A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR (RED) BUZZER Alarm

ragraves

Can anyoneexplane the alarm (see below) I am getting and how to fix it?
Thanks

(panel-mount/top-mount types)
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR
(RED)
BUZZER
When the engine control system detects an engine control system malfunction, the malfunction indicator turns on and the buzzer sounds at one-second intervals.

When are you getting it? Full power? At idle? A little more details will help out a lot. For example, if what you are describing is happening after running and either returning to idle or if at idle it could be a bad O2 sensor.

You need to figure out how to pull fault codes on that engine using the service connector. Getting the fault code will help you pinpoint the issue. I think it's a slightly different procedure than with the 200/225. So hopefully, a 250 owner or tech will pipe in and explain how to do it.

In the past the alarm first came on when idling at the dock so I would turn motor off and restart motor and never get the alarm again. This was an intermittent thing and not consistent.

Yesterday the alarm came on at about 1/2 to 3/4 power so I stopped turned motor off and restarted motor no alarm until about 1/2 to 3/4 to full power.
Alarms every one second.

Went to boat ramp took boat home. I checked everything I could think of and went for test run today and no alarm for about two hours of running full power to 1/2 and slow troll no alarm. Then alarm started. I anchored up turned motor off and fished for about three hours then started motor up and went to boat ramp no alarm.

Not sure what I have and do not have a Honda Outboard Motor Mechanic close to me but need one that can read the codes.

Thanks,

You do not need a mechanic to pull codes, you can do it yourself. On the BF 225 it's simply a case of shunting the service connector with a paper clip and reading the blinks on the MIL light. However, I think there is another step in that process for the 250.

Ian - can you post the procedure?

Bill, it's the same as the 225 if they have analogue gauges and standard warnings lights which this one appears to have. It's a safe bet tho that the O2 heater circuit has failed causing an O2 sensor failure at idle and low exhaust temps, judging by the fault description.

Back