Logo

50hp electric shift, yellow plug

skipper47

Contributing Member
I am trying to get hold of a remote control for my 50hp engine, they are as rare as the proverbial "rocking horse s_ _ _", I know I need a "hydro-electric".

the are some out there with red plugs, can I change the wiring?

Give Pat or Shelly a call at Pine Lake Parts, Plainwell, MI. 855-313-3280. He is pretty sure he has some to choose from. You don't say weather it is EV or JO, but he has both.

The yellow plug is because it has Hydro-Electric shift AND Mag CD ignition. That combo was only used a couple of years and on a couple of models 50 & 65hp if I remember correctly.

Correct 71 / 72 model 50 hp and the 72 model 65 hp used the yellow plug.----So not easy to find.-----If you understand wiring and volts you can make up a system to work.----I am not going to give the instructions for such a method.

t2stroke, not sure what you mean EV or JO? Sorry.

racerone, although I am not an expert on outboards I do understand electrics to some degree, however I failed to say I have the female plug with about 6" of cable.
I was thinking about the remote end, is there different wiring terminals between red and yellow plugs?
If I get hold of a used one (remote control) is there anything that cannot be repaired?

skipper47

The red cable will not have the required shift wires. Blue, Green, and Purple w/green stripe. Nor will the control have a shift switch (rare and expensive).

Your remote control should look similar to this. Be very careful though. It needs the yellow plug electrics within.

This is Johnson version. There also was an Evinrude version, with push button shift. They are interchangeable.

Attachments

• Johnson Control 1970 Hydro.JPG
    Johnson Control 1970 Hydro.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
fdrgator, I have worked on circuit boards and electrical equipment, and I know the components in a diagram are not exactly where you think they should be,
if you know what I mean.
Your diagram was big help. Thanks.

fdrgator,
Received my control box from the States but, it is not exactly like your diagram, it has 3 on/off switches and no ignition sw.
I have tried to find a sw here in the UK with no luck, what would you suggest please?

See if I get this right. Where you are typing your reply, below the box, click Go Advanced. Then Manage Attachments. Then Add Files, Choose File. Find the picture on your computer, then click Upload. Or something like that. In other words, follow the prompts.

I've never seen one like that. I think the shift switch is no good and some genius "fixed" it with those toggle switches. But what do I know.
Good luck with it.

I have not opened her up yet but I am sure if the shift switch is good I can re-solder wires where they should be, I have the wiring diagram.
The thing is that I need an original ign sw. Any ideas?

Original ignition switch is part number 0386947 for a 1972----if that is a 1972 control. There probably is a Sierra aftermarket switch that will work.

fdrgator, Thanks for all your help and guidance to a numpty with outboards.
And to answer your question, I think you know quite a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!

wiring.jpg2 halves.jpg

fdrgator, opened the box up and someone has botched the lot.
Don't recognize a selector switch, are they still available do you know?
At the top of the switches there is a round brown ball, completely sealed,
looks like a capacitor.

Appreciate any help.

I'm saddened that somebody here in my country sold you that mess. I guess I should give him the benefit of doubt and think he did it out of ignorance. Not only is it a mess, it isn't even for a 1972 yellow plug box. The round ball thing is a blocking diode and is not used on a 1972 50hp. If you are now asking about the shift selector switch it is part number 0385253 and costs more than the whole motor is worth. US$310.00 here at marineengine. Illustrated parts book is here at this site.

Back