Logo

High speed jets (orifice) 87' 48spl

scalhoun506

Regular Contributor
so I messed up the high speed jet trying to remove it from one carb.. the threads are ok in the bowl. looking for the part on this site, a 50D is $58 bucks but looking around, a 51D is only $13, (2 for the price of one). Sooo the question is any chance one size larger will do any damage? actually found it listed in parts for a 85' 60hp two cylinder and on further review the 60 has the same basic block(not same part #'s) but same pistons, rods, crank shaft, head, intake manifold, reeds and exhaust housing. any one have any ideas? with a jet change do i get 10 or 12 hp?

Absolutely no problem with .001 larger orifice. Might even be better with today's ethanol based fuels. Not sure why that one orifice is so out of line with the price of the others? Been meaning to ask someone. Has to be an explanation. Usually a story to go with that!

update: got the 51d jets installed and tested. not much difference, maybe 50 rpm's at WOT. but on a side note engine idles better with plugs gaped at 40

Some applications are underjetted anyway. If you have noticed, often the upper carb will be richer or larger jet anyway. If you intend to build extra power, a tachometer should be utilized and likely a prop change. I run Amsoil fully synthetic Saber oil. Playing with performance, it assures me extra protection.
Just modified the plastic carb on a 13.5 hp brush hog. Motor is a Techumseh, overhead valve. This particular carb has a fixed main jet.....totally a huge problem on this application. The jet is made of viton or a similar material. Ethanol causes it to swell. Thereby leaning the fuel/air mixture. I have a box of adjustable needles from earlier 6 hp Techumseh carbs. Drill and tap the access plug in plastic float bowl then install a larger fixed orface for the needle to seat. This makes a fully adjustable jet. The power increase is incredible. Fixed jets have their limitations but are basically a fact of life now. Lean is better for our water/atmosphere, but tougher on horsepower and engine life in most cases.

Last edited:
going back to first post, a 85' 60hp and 87 48spl have many of the same parts, but researching a little, that's when HP rating were changed, could be the real reason for hp differences.

One would need to be a first class idiot to shell out $58 bucks for a small brass HS jet... probably a decimal placement typo and is supposed to be $5.80 .

Hey, Joe........I just spent 50 bucks on a quarter pint of base color for the wife's Caliber........that's like 12 bucks an ounce.......
And you can't even drink it. Yea, I gotta be an idiot. When I first started painting cars, I charged 250 bucks for a complete repaint. Now you can't even buy the basecoat for that......and cars are about half as big now.

People today line up to pay $30 / gallon for coffee one cup at a time.-----Yester year is not the same as today !!!

Back