Logo

Tohatsu M5B 5hp idles but cant throttle.

Mopar440ci

Hello, ive been trying to get my M5b up and running for the year but i have run into an odd problem .
i have gone over the whole thing , new fuel , cleaned fuel pump , cleaned carb , new plug. and the motor will start and idle great, but as soon as i move the throttle even the smallest fraction it stalls out even after a lengthy warmup.

im really not sure what else to try or where to look for a problem.

i also have an issue with the lock ontop of the flywheel controlled by the gearbox lever.
in nuetral it works fine and allows the motor to spin free but when you put it in gear it locks up the flywheel and stalls the motor.
does anyone have a picture of how this little tab is supose to go on a properly working setup? thinking it cot moved or put together wrong somehow.

thanks a bunch

I completely took the carb apart and used carb cleaner on the parts, except one part, the main valve thats controlled by the float, its stuck something awful and wont unscrew to be removed. instead i blasted it the best i could with it still in place.

and as far as the loack i can only see one difference instead of a screw and a washer mine has a very large headed bolt but it looks factory as its nothing you can just go out and buy.

Sounds like you need to completely disassemble your carb (including jets and emulsion tube nozzle) AND the float valve), soak overnight in real carb dip (available at any auto parts house), and THEN spray out the gunk from all orfices. If that fails, install a new carb. I would use the one that is designated for the 6A2, as it will increase your power 20%.

Back