Logo

360 oil/oil filters/remote oil filter mounts

TPGG

Contributing Member
I know I'm opening a can of worms, but what are people running in their engines?

My twins I have no clue what was being run in them given the P/O basically knew nothing about the boat other than what the yard it was kept at "told" him. (Some of the bills he paid are pretty silly)

Anyhow, I see the manual (from when Jesus had his boat powered by Chrysler 360's) spec's SAE30, but obviously we've made some significant leaps and bounds in the quality of oil these days that I figure it would be a safe bet to run Rotella T 15w-30 or 15w-40?

Also what filters are folks running and if applicable, what remote filter kits did you go with? Because an oil filter sideways on a block on a boat seems to be the most insane thing I've seen in my life.

Also what filters are folks running and if applicable, what remote filter kits did you go with? Because an oil filter sideways on a block on a boat seems to be the most insane thing I've seen in my life.

I agree. Horizontal mount and/or inverted remote filters are absolutely silly.
If you build your own system, you can purchase a filter base that allows for a conventional oil filter orientation.

Also, and FWIW............., Hayden Company offers a thermostatically controlled filter base that can be tied in with an Engine oil cooler.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1113

I used this kit from summit. The round-ish part in the center of pic screws on where filter normally goes. Other part mounts to bracket that you fabricate.

As for oil, I generally go with SAE 30, but NAPA just had barn sale on full synthetic, so I bought a couple cases of 10-30.

,Noel.

FYI for any of us who may be installing a remote oil filter system!

The oil filter, whether ON Engine or Remote, must receive oil into the outer area of the filtration media.
In other words, the remote filter base ports are directional, causing the incoming oil to enter the pleats of the exterior of the filter media.

If your hoses were to be reversed, oil now feeds into the interior pleats of the filter media.

Back