Logo

1999 BF130A XD Overheating Issue

Only other issue, I mentioned earlier that I couldn't get air pressure up the short hose at the t Joint by the telltale, the one that goes into a "water jacket pressure valve holder", I assume that is a one way valve that allows water to pass out only?

Good news.

I decided to check my telltale lines again and I found a bit of white stuff in the long line that comes from the port side block bottom and then same stuff clogging the outlet hole for the telltale. I cleaned all that out and then with the lines not hooked up to the outlet, I ran the hose from the drain hookup, it had lots of water coming through. Hooked the whole thing up properly and ran the motor, it peed very strongly.

I had checked this area before, but I likely dislodged some salt or calcium when I ran it with vinegar?

I reinstalled the thermostat, and it was peeing fine.

I turned it off, turned the key back on and the overheat red light stayed on. Neither the light nor the alarm came on while it was running. I plan on doing a sea trial now and see if the light and alarm are OK.

I still have a small dribble from the drain hose connector, I think I will get new o rings and gaskets for that and the oil water jacket pressure valve and clean both of those out.

Thanks for the help, I am now a smarter person with all this education.

Working great, no red light, good flow from the telltale.

I know this is an older thread but I have a question that I hope you can answer. When all was said and done, did the lower unit still have water coming from all the small holes and the large hole behind the pitot tube? Mine is doing that and I don’t recall it doing that last year. Thank you!

I know this is an older thread but I have a question that I hope you can answer. When all was said and done, did the lower unit still have water coming from all the small holes and the large hole behind the pitot tube? Mine is doing that and I don’t recall it doing that last year. Thank you!

I would need to run it with the ear muff and garden hose and look, its late now so text me next week as I dont come onto this forum frequently.
714 401 6079. Louie

I think so, I don’t yet have it in the water this year, been doing some other things and won’t have it in for a couple of weeks to confirm.

I did have a few bits come loose and clog my telltale once or twice for a couple of months after using the vinegar. I would find a small white crumb of material but after removing the tip off the telltale and clearing it, it works fine. Haven’t had any other issues.

I run mostly inshore waters and my telltale clogs almost every trip. I enlarged the holes in the black tee and it still clogs frequently. As for the lower unit, I feel like I would’ve noticed water coming out of those additional holes but I don’t recall. I assume the holes are there for a reason...any YouTube video I found for BF130s showed a similar pattern. Stills seems odd.

I own a 130 hp and have had this problem many times I give you a tip it solved my problem once and for all .Take the thermostat out and use Durbans Formula it does not only solve the problem it also cleans the motor up inside from salt build up over the years pour it in block the pee pipe, in the thermostat reses you will notice that when the thermostat opens water goes down there as well pour it in and leave it for 2 or 3 days .then after flush it on muffs. I mixed Durbans Formula 3:1 with water. 3 water and 1 Durbans Formula.

Last edited:
I also changed the cylinder head and put brand new later model one on you will notice on the new ones they machined the water flow passage better my old one cracked and i give Honda 100% credit on the new cylinder heads :)

Inshore-you are getting sand or debris due to shallow water?

Yes its sand and whatnot from running shallow.

I own a 130 hp and have had this problem many times I give you a tip it solved my problem once and for all .Take the thermostat out and use Durbans Formula it does not only solve the problem it also cleans the motor up inside from salt build up over the years pour it in block the pee pipe, in the thermostat reses you will notice that when the thermostat opens water goes down there as well pour it in and leave it for 2 or 3 days .then after flush it on muffs. I mixed Durbans Formula 3:1 with water. 3 water and 1 Durbans Formula.

Durbans wont hurt the steel parts?

I also changed the cylinder head and put brand new later model one on you will notice on the new ones they machined the water flow passage better my old one cracked and i give Honda 100% credit on the new cylinder heads :)

I don't think there's a new cylinder head or gasket available for the BF130 anymore. If so that would be great because I have another BF130 on the rack with gasket or head failure.

Yes its sand and whatnot from running shallow.

Durbans wont hurt the steel parts?

I don't think there's a new cylinder head or gasket available for the BF130 anymore. If so that would be great because I have another BF130 on the rack with gasket or head failure.

:) My proof is already in the pudding. If you ever have the opportunity to come to Hamilton New Zealand i will show you how Durbans Formula works and the fantastic results .

Last edited:
Now here is wot you need to do to solve the pee problem apart from using Durbans Formula .You need to change the Mount frame case gasket on some models +/- year 2001 the holes are too small for the water to come through dribs and peaces get caught and if used in water with heaps of calcium builds up around that area restricting and blocking pee pipe, get the later models gasket the holes were made bigger to solve this problem .Now we gona move onto the cylinder head .Models BF130A2 BZBE BZBH if your serial no is below these no,s 1302748 and 1300363 and BF130A3 BZBE ,BZBH 1400001 replace it with the new cylinder head part no.12201-ZW5-020ZA and the Gasket 12251-ZW-023 fit a 60 degree thermostat. Sorry i dont have the money to do a world wide marketing for Durbans Formula thats why i put it out to the universe for free God gave it to me for free and i gave it to the world for free:)

Last edited:
To be clear, I don't have a tell-tale problem. When mine stops its always sand and trash stuck in the Tee. I do want to to try a salt product soak for the engine with the lower unit off and the tube water tube(s) blocked. Seems like a good idea for an older OB. I couldn't find durbens so I bought the CRC product.

To the original point though, the water coming from all holes in the lower unit seems strange.

Re: water coming from all the holes. Pretty typical in my experience. Each low spot in the lower unit that will trap water needs a drain to prevent freeze up and broken parts during northern winters. There are generally several of them! I generally chase all of them with a piece of wire whenever I replace a pump. They're pretty easily plugged with sand, silt, and corrosion. By design, drains are located right where that kind of stuff collects (low points).

Is this Salt To Go product from Durban South Africa the product?

https://salttogo.co.za/

No this is not my Formula to me this is just another name that,s used it seems to do the same job as salt away ,i have tried salt away and it does not do my job i wasted my money it was also very expensive and they smart they showed a bottom half of the block in their picture where no water goes the crankcase lies in there , for 25 dlrs my Formula can make more than 20ltrs if you dilute with water . here is some of my work my username on i boats is Durban https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...w-when-it-comes-to-desalting-a-motor-properly

Back