Logo

97 Oceanrunner 200 stalling when accelerating

n36511

Regular Contributor
i have a 97 oceanrunner 200 that has been running great the last two days. However today, after a 1hr run (was running great 4krpm), I get to my final no wake zone and notice boat is smoking more than normal. I mean it is a two stroke and smokes like crazy when first started, but normally subsides after warmup. I get boat back into slip no problem. Sits for an hour or so and I go crank it up to go back out. Huge cloud of smoke that never seems to subside. Pull out of slip and advance the throttle forward and engine dies. Crank engine, fires up and same thing. Crank again and use idle lever to rev rpms. Does so with no problem. Put it in gear and try to accelerate any past idle and engine just dies. Fuel water separator is clean. Any thoughts? Starving for fuel and that is why the bad cloud of smoke? Grabbing at straws here. Any help would be appreciated!

thanks in advance for the help
Scott

A few questions. Does your self test warning horn work when you first turn the key on? Did you check to see if your primer bulb was flat or staying firm? I am thinking anti-syphon valve sticking, but wonder why it backed up in reverse? Sounds like it is running out of fuel. Extra oil is making it smoke with lack of fuel. That's where we will start.

Thanks T2. Warning horn does work. Interesting enough, bulb was not flat but I did have to pump it a few times after it stalled. Seemed like it was half full if that makes sense. May not have been clear in original post but in reverse it does the same thing. Fine at idle but go to accelerate in reverse, engine shudders and dies.

So I figured it out. Replaced the anti siphon valve and that helped some....but still stalled and had to pump bulb to keep it alive. Checked all lines and they all looked okay. Went ahead and bypassed the fuel water seperator and thru outboard well fitting and went straight to primer pump. That fixed it. Runs awesome. Guessing there is an air leak with the seperator. Going to replace all of that and should be good to go. Thanks for the replies.

Back