Logo

rebuilt force 125 leaking exhaust plate gasket

altitude 411

Hello forum. I've just recently totally rebuilt my Force 125. Replace all cylinders with .030 over using weisco pistons. Replaced all gaskets, thermostat, water pump ect. and was completing break in procedure when I noticed my exhaust plate gasket was seeping water. I have torn down the engine to replace exhaust plate gaskets and was wondering if it is normal for the stainless plate to be warped? It was warped when I disassembled the engine for the rebuild and I re-installed it after the rebuild with new gaskets. I'm wondering if this was a mistake and what caused the gaskets to not seal and leak. I thought that with it (stainless steel plate) being subject to heat as well as water that this would be common. Maybe not?? I have run the engine for less than ten hours and it seamed to run OK at high idle and was just beginning the break-in procedure of getting the boat on plane when I noticed the leak. It was starting and idling OK. I am wondering as well if water was getting into the cylinders as I know oil was seeping into the water cooling side of the exhaust plate. I have some pictures but having difficulty posting them at the moment.

Questions... 1) did I do any damage to the build?
2)Should I tear it down and replace the rings?
3) should I have used a sealant on the exhaust plate gaskets?
4) do I need a certain number of posts to be able to load photos?

Here is a Youtube video of the engine running/idling/leaking just before I tore it back down to inspect gaskets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AbOv8Gk5o

Thanks for any help and/or advises. I will continue to try and upload photo's of the piston's and rings viewed through the exhaust.

I forgot to say this is what I believe to be a 1988 Model year, at least that is what the forge stamps on the engine are. My model number 1251E9B does not come up on the Hosts list of numbers when I am looking for parts.

test for photos. 1) exhaust plate showing gasket and oil/water
2) cylinder/piston/ring after gasket leak

* yeah! it worked

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0139.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0139.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 168
  • thumbnail_IMG_0140.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0140.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
5 posts to add pics.
The warping on the plate is normal.
If you used a new plate it would warp as soon as you get it running.
The gaskets need gasket sealer to stop the leaking.

The surface where the gaskets/plate and the cover go should have been milled and made like new.
No where in the rebuild directions does it say to do this.
The heat and use wears the edges off the old surface making the gaskets hard to seal :(
Thus the need for sealer or resurfacing, or sealer.
You probably did no damage and the rings should be ok.

Back