Logo

1999 bf130

NSDON

Regular Contributor
I just replaced my fuel line, tank to outboard, priming bulb, and added a fuel water separator. I'm ready to launch for the first time and when I pump my bulb, I'm not getting any pressure.
When I launch, will the fuel pump pull fuel from the tank, or should I be trying to get fuel up into the bulb before starting the outboard at the launch area?

Thanks,
Don

You have to get fuel into the vapor separator for the engine to start. If the bulb does not pump up, the vapor separator is not getting filled.

If your fuel bulb is between the water separator and the engine, sometimes it is hard to prime the system due to air in the water separator.

A couple of things that you can try.

Disconnect the fuel line at the engine.
Squeeze the fuel bulb, holding the arrow pointing up vertically. The bulb pumps more efficiently, that way. You should get fuel out the end of the hose after a while. If you do not get the fuel to come out at the end of the hose fairly quickly, then.....

Remove the water separating fuel filter and fill it with fuel. Then try priming again.
Just as a note. Most any installation diagram shows (standard practice) that the bulb goes between the filter and the engine. When I install a new engine with a water separating fuel fuel filter, I put the bulb between the tank and the water separating fuel filter.

Then I never hear from a customer with a problem like yours....

Hope this helps.

Mike

I like your idea, my previous boat with a water separator was this way so I copied that. Yours sounds more practical- sucking via the bulb for me means filling that separator and all that fuel line. I'll follow your suggestion on filling the separator first and see what happens.
Thanks,
Don

Back