Logo

1990 Johnson 140hp VRO no power under load

OMC140

So I put the boat in the water this year after being in storage for the winter. It started up without any trouble and idled fine for about a minute, then developed a bit of a spitter or a miss. Then when trying to drive the boat it won’t plane off. You can give it full throttle and it just bogs down. I replaced the spark plugs and ran some sea foam marine engine cleaner through it but I don’t know what checks to perform to ensure I’m getting proper spark.

Can anyone point me in the in the right direction?

So I put the boat in the water this year after being in storage for the winter. It started up without any trouble and idled fine for about a minute, then developed a bit of a spitter or a miss. Then when trying to drive the boat it won’t plane off. You can give it full throttle and it just bogs down. I replaced the spark plugs and ran some sea foam marine engine cleaner through it but I don’t know what checks to perform to ensure I’m getting proper spark.

Can anyone point me in the in the right direction?

I have a 2003 J150PXSTM that would die on take off. Turned out to be dirty carbs. It took me 5+ hours to remove engine cowling, remove both throttle body/carb assemblies, blow out every orifice with compressed air, and reassemble. But what a difference. Watch this video how to clean them thoroughly -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2DznvgXSY

- Tim

Back