Logo

2004 40HP overheating but only at idle, or ....?

370Dancer

New to me AB rib with a 40TLR6. Did the usual change outs, including a new impeller kit. Old one appeared pretty new, and coming off a 72 Marlow Explorer, it probably was.

On a hose in the driveway, lots of water coming out of the telltale at all RPMs. I assume from pressure of the hose.
In the bay, the engine will start normal, run normal, but after a while of idling, will have stopped circulating, and overheats. If I leave the idle high, or run the boat, then it goes well, and plenty of telltale. As soon as I come off plane, sometimes it keeps pumping, and sometimes I am overheating within a couple of minutes. VERY perplexing, and somewhat intermittent. The only common thing is it only happens on idle.
I will backflush tomorrow. Any other things to look at first? Pretty sure I used the whole impeller kit including a new woodruff key.

New to me AB rib with a 40TLR6. Did the usual change outs, including a new impeller kit. Old one appeared pretty new, and coming off a 72 Marlow Explorer, it probably was.

On a hose in the driveway, lots of water coming out of the telltale at all RPMs. I assume from pressure of the hose.
In the bay, the engine will start normal, run normal, but after a while of idling, will have stopped circulating, and overheats. If I leave the idle high, or run the boat, then it goes well, and plenty of telltale. As soon as I come off plane, sometimes it keeps pumping, and sometimes I am overheating within a couple of minutes. VERY perplexing, and somewhat intermittent. The only common thing is it only happens on idle.
I will backflush tomorrow. Any other things to look at first? Pretty sure I used the whole impeller kit including a new woodruff key.

Check you thermostat . It could be rusted and sticking part open or not at all..

I used the entire impeller kit.

I thought I checked the thermostat, but that could have been another engine. I work on a lot. This seems pressure related. Higher RPMs, water flows. On the garden hose, water flows. Idle around for a while, no more water flow, and then overheat alarm. I'll try to backflush today.

Thought I would post the eventual issue in case someone else is searching this. Turns out I had the gasket on the wrong side of the plate. Duh

Back