Logo

Never get too comfortable..

Jay1234

Regular Contributor
Hey guys,

Just a reminder, but never get too comfortable in the waters you are fishing. Things are always changing. Last night after fishing until after dark we idled back through an area in the river that has many obstacles, up to a point where I knew we were in the clear and ramped it up and we were on our way home. Seconds later we hit something that kicked my outboard up so hard it cracked the cowl when the engine actually contacted the splash well. Partially submerged log.
After s###ing my pants and assessing the damage, we made it back to the launch ok. I had my 2 kids on board and the impact was probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced on the water. We always wear life jackets when fishing, especially at night, so that moment of panic of what if we take on water was avoided and I was able to go right to checking the boat out and alerting a buddy that was on the water that we had hit something.
To shorten up my long story, which I apologize for, don't ever get complacent.
That being said, we ALWAYS have our safety gear in place and someone ALWAYS know where we are fishing and when I'll be home. Just be safe out there.

Right, relax at the wrong time could cost your life. Rock's don't move around too much....logs, another story. Once my Dad @ 70 years old, a very experienced guide, fisherman and hunter.....was running the boat pictured in the avatar and at the time had twin 15 tillers. He was motoring at full speed across St. Louis Bay (dark water) here in Duluth at the very western tip of Lake Superior. The bay is used by huge Great Lakes Cargo vessels with 12 foot tall props and multiple 8000 hp diesels. These boats can churn up deadheads that wash downstream the St. Louis........suddenly one of the 15 hp Johnsons Launched right into the boat and landed in my Dad's lap....running wide open.
He wasn't hurt....but quite the surprise, eh? I ordered a new part and fixed the motor. He never fished St. Louis Bay again.

Last edited:
Back