Logo

Ad41p

Jeff1962

Hello,
I have a 2000 Sea Sport with a AD41P Volvo Penta. Recently at start up, the engine goes full throttle with the the throttle lever in idle position. Could it be that something is sticking in the injector pump? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

So the injector pump is set to idle when the engine goes WOT or does it all happen so fast that you haven't been able to check before turning it off? You would expect that either the injector pump is going WOT throttle, the pump is faulty and starting to badly overfuel, or the engine is starting to go into runaway. I haven't come across this before. I assume that the throttle is at idle when the engine is previously shut down and not advanced at all prior to restarting? No one (kids etc) could be playing with the throttle between trips?

So the injector pump is set to idle when the engine goes WOT or does it all happen so fast that you haven't been able to check before turning it off? You would expect that either the injector pump is going WOT throttle, the pump is faulty and starting to badly overfuel, or the engine is starting to go into runaway. I haven't come across this before. I assume that the throttle is at idle when the engine is previously shut down and not advanced at all prior to restarting? No one (kids etc) could be playing with the throttle between trips?

Yes the injector pump is in the idle position when started. The key wont even shut the engine off, so I have to shut the fuel valve off manually and let it run out of fuel.
Very weird!

Sounds scary. So the fuel shutoff solenoid is not operating? Does it operate Ok when the engine doesn't do this? I suspect that your injector pump is bad but have no idea what is happening to it. Is the engine smoking badly when it does this and is it using oil?

The shutoff Solenoid does not work when the engine goes to full throttle at start up. Everything seems normal except the high RPM's and the key wont shut the engine off. I have been running it for the past couple days and everything is up to par so far. Runs like a top! I did add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel in hopes it will clean and lube the pump just incase it is a sticking valve. The strangest part is, I always let it idle for about 5 minutes before shutdown. It's not like I shut it down at full throttle. Very very puzzling,

If you ever find the solution please let us know. One of the stranger faults I have heard of. The key not shutting off could be due to the high fuel flow stopping the shut off valve from sealing?

Back