Logo

Sitting Boat

Daviid

Looking at purchasing a 94 Caver with 2 Mericruser 454/340 horse inboards. The boat has been out of the water about 3 years and engines not run. In Southern State so cold not an issue. What are things to look for once it is dropped in the water trying to get them started. Worst case scenario the engines are ceased or to much work to get them running again. Is the best case to buy a rebuilt? any idea of cost to remove, replace , and install ? what about transmission. What to look for? If needs to be replaced what is the cost estimate? Thx, Dave

Looking at purchasing a 94 Caver with 2 Mericruser 454/340 horse inboards. The boat has been out of the water about 3 years and engines not run. In Southern State so cold not an issue.
What are things to look for once it is dropped in the water trying to get them started.

I would strongly suggest that you start and run these engines before you get this boat even remotely near the water!

Worst case scenario the engines are ceased or too much work to get them running again.

You will not know this until you put some effort into it!

Is the best case to buy a rebuilt?

You will have no choice. GM no longer offers the 454!

any idea of cost to remove, replace , and install ? what about transmission. What to look for? If needs to be replaced what is the cost estimate? Thx, Dave

Get the engines running. Hire a good, well known and highly recommended Marine Surveyor.

Thank you for the advice.
Are we better off replacing the motor with an engine GM still makes like the 350? Would the retrofit be a problem with the trany or other parts like the manifold if we did that? Seems like the HP was low for a 454. I had a Corvette with a 427 and i believe the HP was north of 400.
We have a surveyor coming on Monday. But I didn't realize they did the motor also. I thought we would have to hire a mechanic as well.
If we need to replace the engine with a rebuilt, any idea what the cost would be to take it out and install a refurbished motor?
Thank you, Dave

Thank you for the advice.
Are we better off replacing the motor with an engine GM still makes like the 350? Would the retrofit be a problem with the trany or other parts like the manifold if we did that?
Minus a possible gear reduction difference, the SBC will work with the existing transmissions.
However, you would be required to replace the exhaust system if you went from a BBC to the SBC.
When properly built, the GM 6.3L SBC (aka the 383 cu in) is an option..... but only when a Q/E is incorporated into the build.

In other words..... NO GM full dished pistons! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seems like the HP was low for a 454. I had a Corvette with a 427 and i believe the HP was north of 400.
The higher horse power Automotive build is considerably different from that of the Marine build.
If an Automotive build is used, you will very likely have trouble.

We have a surveyor coming on Monday. But I didn't realize they did the motor also. I thought we would have to hire a mechanic as well.
Not all Marine surveyors do both structural and mechanical surveys. It sounds as though your surveyor does both.

If we need to replace the engine with a rebuilt, any idea what the cost would be to take it out and install a refurbished Engine?
Check with a reputable company such as Michigan Motors.

Thank you, Dave

I'd say a lot of your potential option are driven by how heavy the hull is.....big heavy boats need torque and the most economical way to generate that is thru displacement (cubic inches in the engine).

Like Rick suggests, the engines should be started before the travel lift is started.

My opinion, if the engines wont run, find another boat.....there are plenty out there and they dont command the high prices the new ones want...

Back