Logo

Double Eagle Transom Repair Advice needed please.

Westcoast

Hi guys,
Im new to this forum. I just bought my first boat and got suckered in to a boat with a rotten transom. Here are some pictures. What would you guys do to fix it? I have seen the method of cutting out the glass side of the transom, replace wood and then put the cut out of glass back on an then patch and paint which i could do but there will be nothing on the inside side of the transom. The layer of glass there is so thin and rotten it will come out with the rotten wood. Hopefully pictures will attach ok. Having troubles attaching pictures. Will keep trying.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Nope,.... No pictures,.....

Transom wood is replaced from Inside the hull,.....

You can remove the entire top cap, or cut the aft end of the top cap to gain access, but do Not cut the back of the hull off,.....

Do you know of anywhere i can see pictures of this process? Not sure why i cant upload pictures. Ill try from my laptop instead.

Pictures must be under 1 MB.

Both Jamestown Distributors and West Marine have videos on transom repair/replace, if my memory is still good.

Transom wood is replaced from Inside the hull,.....

You can remove the entire top cap, or cut the aft end of the top cap to gain access, but do Not cut the back of the hull off,.....
Yep, keep the back of the hull in place. If you cut that, you might as well scrap the boat or get ready for a lot of glass work.

On a previous boat I used the SeaCast system. https://www.transomrepair.net/

There are a lot of folks that insist on using laminated wood in the transom and that's fine. My experience with SeaCast was very good. In my cast the inner skin of the transom was shot so I had to make a new one using a template, glass that into place, then pour the transom material.
The resulting transom was ridiculously strong and had ZERO chance of rotting. I was happy with it and if I had another rotted transom to replace I'd use the product again.

KJ

Back