Logo

Help with bellows

CFD2DC

Hello all,
I am new to the Volvo Penta world. I have a 1992 Chaparral with the 431B engine and a DP CDtrim outdrive. That's what the sticker on the outdrive says, so I assume that's the model. I have searched the forum and could not find any info on this combo. I am needing the u-joint bellows. I can find them for other combinations, but nothing on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello all,
I am new to the Volvo Penta world. I have a 1992 Chaparral with the 431B engine and a DP CDtrim outdrive. That's what the sticker on the outdrive says, so I assume that's the model. I have searched the forum and could not find any info on this combo. I am needing the u-joint bellows. I can find them for other combinations, but nothing on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff, you have an AQ series Volvo Penta stern drive.
The bellows part number hasn't changed in years and years. In other words, you could use a 250 drive shaft bellows on your 1992 CDtrim drive.

The OEM are a bit better than the After-Market ones.
The correct bellows will have a sealing bead at the interior on each end!

NOTE: even if the new bellows comes with new US style band clamps, use the OEM Euro style band clamps.
The fully "cut" bands (for the worn drive screw) will grab and pull on the material as it is being tightened.

OK.... in order to replace the drive shaft bellows, you will need to do the following:

You will be removing the transmission ONLY....... not the entire stern drive!
drain the GL-5 gear oil.
remove the rear cover.
remove the vertical shaft linkage from the eccentric piston
remove the helmet pin and raise the helmet up
loosen the AFT bellows band clamp
loosen all four transmission fasteners.

The transmission will now lift up, turn sideways, and will come off.
Watch for the round, circular, thin shims and make sure that they all go back in.

This is a great time to inspect the water neck fitting and it's special gasket.
Yours may be aluminum, or it may be plastic.
The aluminum water neck fittings are a wear item, and should be routinely replaced.

Replace ALL 4 O-rings, even if they look OK!

This is what your drive shaft bellows will look like.
Note that they are showing the US style band clamps with the full cuts.
:mad:

AQ series bellows.jpg

This is the Euro style.

Euro style hose clamp.jpg

Rick,
That is exactly what I needed!! Thank you so much. Was starting to think I wasn’t going to be able to fix it!

Jeff

Tried to add pic with no luck. Are the 4 transmission fasteners the 4 bolts where that vert shift linkage is attached? Also, is there a blow up somewhere that shows this stuff?

This is a great time to inspect the water neck fitting and it's special gasket.
Yours may be aluminum, or it may be plastic.
The aluminum water neck fittings are a wear item, and should be routinely replaced.

Replace ALL 4 O-rings, even if they look OK!

I can rebuild a chevy 350 in my sleep, but not sure on this LOL.

Last edited:
Pay close attention to the shims for the lower bearing they may stick to the bearing and can be easily damaged or lost if your not paying attention!

So when I pull the trans up and turn it to pull it out, the shims are on the part I'm lifting, or the part that stays put? As long as I know where to look for them I'll try not to lose or damage them..

So when I pull the trans up and turn it to pull it out, the shims are on the part I'm lifting, or the part that stays put? As long as I know where to look for them I'll try not to lose or damage them..

The shims will be underneath the transmission. Maybe only one, or there maybe several!
The oil film may cause some to stay with the lower bearing retainer, or some to stay within the Intermediate housing.
Look at both locations so that you can keep them together when going back together.

Back