Logo

MD11C will not start.

Lapiki

I have a problem with my MD11C. I turned it on for 2 hours to generate power. I left my boat for the duration, and when I got back, the motor had turned off. I assumed that it had run out of fuel, added 40 liters, and tried to turn it on. The starter does not work, so I have been hand cranking it. I tried this, and the motor refused to turn. I tried to turn the flywheel with my hand, and still it refused to turn. I checked if the propeller could turn in free-gear, and it could.

I thought maybe water had gotten into the piston chambers, so I pulled the injectors out. I tried to turn the flywheel now, and with some work I could get it to turn. There also seemed not to be any water in the piston chambers.

I tried to hand crank it, and it would not start. It was also significantly harder to get started turning. When I got to sufficient speed and compressed the front piston, it simply made a dull sound and would not even ignite for a few rotations. I noted that there did come white smoke out of the air intake.

The experiment a bit, I tried to instead to compressed the back chamber first(the front one is easier to reach). Now the motor started without problem. More smoke than normal came out of the exhaust. I was exalted, and compressed the front chamber too. After approximately 5 seconds, the motor died out.

I was baffled. No idea what to do. I tried to crank the flywheel, but it was stuck again. I could get it to move a little with a big screwdriver and a bit of levering. I pulled the injectors again. I could get the flywheel to turn fairly easily, but now it was too hard for hand cranking. I could not for the life of me get it to move. I looked at the injectors, and I noted that there was a bit more carbon residue on the front one, so I thought that maybe it was plugged. I cleaned it a bit, and wanted to try and start the motor again. The problem was that it was still too hard to turn.

I tried dripping a few drops of motor oil into the hole for the injectors. I turned the flywheel a bit, and let it sit for some hours. Now it seemed much easier to turn, but still I could not hand crank it. It seems that it is just slightly too hard to turn, to get it to work. I noted that the flywheel turn quite easily most of the way, except for a small part of the rotation, where it gets quite harder to turn.

Sorry for then long post, but I wanted the get a much detail as possible. I am stuck trying to fix the motor. What do you think the original problem was? And how do you thing I get the motor to turn?

Back