Logo

Loss of Throttle...

sosoomi

6L Marine power EFI.... original complaint was a loss of power on acceleration, boat was pulling fine and then all of a sudden the engine would drop to an idle.... if you immediately pulled the throttle back and then advanced it ... off you go.... if not and throttle was left in position there was backfiring thru the intake.. this was intermittent but got progressively worse. Next symptom was when the engine was heated up and at idle, the engine would start to stall... if you feather the throttle you could bring it back. Lastly, after the engine would start to stall and if you kept it going, there was no throttle response.... move the throttle but nothing.... turn off the ignition and restart....you have the throttle back. As a side note.... this engine would never start without advancing the throttle, hot or cold. I took a guess and replace the throttle body which cured the throttle advance, starting issue... but the idle stall and loss of throttle continues. I am not sure on the loss of power because I wanted to get back to my mooring... Thoughts?

hook up a scan tool and see what's going on.....guessing and random part swaps will cost you money......

hook up a scan tool and see what's going on.....guessing and random part swaps will cost you money......

I couldn't agree more, sadly the Scan Tool is proprietary and the cost is $850 ++ . As I live in Canada add another 25-30% to that!

Last edited:
may be worth checking around to see if somebody local has one...or bite the bullet and find a good mechanic....you may also be able to find a friend or two that would be willing to co-op on a buy.....

without that, you can debug that engine but it will take more time....goe to the MP www site and download the appropriate manuals and read thru them....most are based on GM's data and will likely have a symptoms section....follow the order of inspections.....most all of the sensors can be checked with a good digital VOM....

I did bite the bu;;et and oredered a Rinda TechMate Pro scan tool..... I hope it helps diagnose the problem!

may be worth checking around to see if somebody local has one...or bite the bullet and find a good mechanic....you may also be able to find a friend or two that would be willing to co-op on a buy.....

without that, you can debug that engine but it will take more time....goe to the MP www site and download the appropriate manuals and read thru them....most are based on GM's data and will likely have a symptoms section....follow the order of inspections.....most all of the sensors can be checked with a good digital VOM....

6L Underwater energy EFI.... unique issue was a lack of turn on speeding, vessel was taking fine and then all of an unexpected the motor would fall to a nonproductive.... if you instantly drew the accelerator returning and then innovative it ... off you go.... if not an accelerator was left in position there was failing thru the consumption.. this was sporadic but got gradually more intense. Next indication was when the motor was warmed up and at nonproductive, the motor would begin to wait... if you feather the accelerator you could bring it returning. Finally, after the motor would begin to wait and if you kept it going, there was no accelerator reaction.... move the accelerator but nothing.... turn off the key and reboot....you have the accelerator returning. As a side note.... this motor would never begin without improving the accelerator, hot or cold. I took a think and substitute the accelerator body which treated the accelerator advance, starting issue... but the nonproductive wait and lack of accelerator carry on.

Thanks... will check it out now!

That additional effort is additional pumping loss/throttling loss in engine. ... The throttle is a valve that restricts airflow to the engine, effectively managing the power it gives to your car. Obviously, You're not driving with the gas pedal all the way down constantly.

That additional effort is additional pumping loss/throttling loss in engine. ... The throttle is a valve that restricts airflow to the engine, effectively managing the power it gives to your car. Obviously, You're not driving with the gas pedal all the way down constantly.

I have looked at your other ME.com posts.
Perhaps you are not realizing that this is a Boating/Marine forum...... and not an Automotive forum!

Back