Logo

M70a2 waterpump kit

NH TOONER

Contributing Member
Looking for a water pump kit for 86. M70a2

really just need the liner but whole kit would be better.

Or. A part number for the kit

thanks

Tooner, I have same motor, water pump impeller and thermostat were all that I could find in 2017, that after several years of looking/waiting. Even then, key way was not available, had to "modify" the new impeller key way slot to accomodate it. But it's been working find since... Aggravating to have a good motor and very limited parts availability. So much so, that when I have to buy a new motor (and it could be for the simplest failure), it most likely will NOT be a Tohatsu.

Tooner, I have same motor, water pump impeller and thermostat were all that I could find in 2017, that after several years of looking/waiting. Even then, key way was not available, had to "modify" the new impeller key way slot to accomodate it. But it's been working find since... Aggravating to have a good motor and very limited parts availability. So much so, that when I have to buy a new motor (and it could be for the simplest failure), it most likely will NOT be a Tohatsu.

You need to understand Globalization and specialization. Your motor dates from the mid 1980's. How old is your car? Also 40 years old? Can you get a water pump for a 1966 Chrysler 360 Big Block? Back in the '70's, most OB manufacturers made everything; from carbs to castings to pumps to alternators. Some of those bits are still available today. Then the work started to get subbed-out. Carb makers supplied carbs. CD makers supplied CDs, and so on.

Then add the complexities of the EPA and similar regulatory agencies. The EPA says they pollute too much, so the manufacturers dropped models and built new leaner models; The carb manufacturers consumption of carb "A" went ftom 10,000 a year to 10. Eventually, they stop making anything at all, and parts are gone.

That is the case for all manufacturers of all brands of all outboards today. Tohatsu makes their own brand, made every Nissan ever built, makes all Evinrudes below 20, and all Mercs below 30, and did a lot of other re-badged small motors. Motor for motor, they are the largest outboard manufacturer in the world. Odds are, if you need a part for an old Tohatsu, it will be available for many years. 40 years? Well, maybe not.

Back