Logo

Shell Rotella 15-40 for diesel engines only?

I think the recommendation is if the motor uses sensors that may be contaminated from any zinc in the oil.
some sensors and cats dont like any zinc

As long as the API Sx (x = J, M, etc) rating and the viscosity selected meets or exceeds your owner's manual requirements, you should be good to go....

Ayuh,..... I run a construction company, 'n a fleet of I/Os on that oil, myself,..... every 4-stroke,.....

Works great in the 8.1's, it is what is recommended in my owner's manual. Check the label, every one I've seen says it it also for use in gasoline engines.

I have been running it all season. They have been running great. A Crusader mechanic told me that his shop is running straight 40 on all of theirs. The low temps are not really a concern as boats are pulled out of the water by November in my area.

Over thinking oil again. It's fine. I run the 5 quart from home depot in all our engines. 14 bucks cant complain. It's the white bottle. Used Mobil diesel oil too.. cant go wrong with either. . I switched to rotella cos of the free quart with each oil change :)

Back