Logo

Good ole carb is leaking!

912brian24

What's up everyone! I have a 1988 3cyl Johnson 60hp VRO that's giving me some issues. The bottom carb is leaking gas out the throat and I can't figure out why...It's not gushing by no means, but it's enough. I pulled the carb again, cleaned it and reinstalled....still have the same issue. My question is does the primer solenoid leak gas into the crankcase if it bad? It looks like the gas that's leaking is coming from that way. The primer blub will get hard and gas will slowly build up and come out the throat. You can see all the gas in the fuel filter slowly drain out. Boat ran great the first couple of times out, but now when you put her into gear she just dies. Have to give her some throttle to keep her alive. She gets on plane no problem, so its just low RPMS that's killing her. I appreciate any help! The motor has been serviced and fitted with many new parts to include...
-All new fuel lines
-New fuel filter
-Carbs removed and cleaned
-New carb rebuild kits (with floats)
-Carbs turned upside down and floats are level and needle valve is seating correctly
-New carb vent lines and air silencer suction tube
-New front carb gasket and air silencer gasket

Sounds like your float is sticking. If you replaced the floats, did you replace the needles and seats?

If so, try pulling the carb and pulling the float valve seat. Often, there will be a tiny piece of debris, usually a little curl of rubber caused from pulling the fuel line off a barbed fitting in the seat, or a tiny bit of teflon tape, or something like that.

I've also seen where the float was put in upside down, but that is fairly unlikely,

Try adjusting the float to sit just a little higher when upside down. That may be all you need.

Hope this helps.

Back