Logo

Replacing throttle/sifter control

jaschrumpf

Contributing Member
I need to replace my throttle and shifter cables (and maybe the shift lever bos too), and I thought that removing the four screws that held the throttle box to the gunwale would let me pull the control out of the gunwale and replace the cables on that end. Instead, there's a large bracket on the back of the gunwale to which the cables are attached, and that doesn't appear to be able either pull out or push through to get to the cables.

How do I get that bracket out from behind the gunwale to make the changes?

On my boat, as least, I have to reach up under the gunwale to get to the cable anchors on the back of my shifter. When the cables are detached, the shifter will wiggle out thru the hole in the gunwale.

I've never done this before. I have pictures I took with my cell phone up there that I can look at, though. Is it just nuts on the ends of the cables holding them in place, or clips?

I started watching a YouTube video on "How to replace your shifter/throttle", but the guy went from explaining what he was going to do, to holding the throttle body in his hand and saying, "After you've removed the throttle body from the gunwale..." Not much help there.

The cable itself is "often" retained to the lever by a right angle fitting screwed onto the cable end and retained in the lever by a cotter pin. The cable jacket is retained EITHER by a "swing clip" or by a saddle clamp that straddles the cable stainless grooved "end" on the cable sheath itself and screwed onto the shifter bracket. The groove in this stainless sheath end is a critical point and MUST be the retainer point for the swing clip or the "hump" in the saddle clamp.

have never known of a control box that didnt pull out from the boat with cables attached. I doubt a factory tech would install a control and then try to install the cables and adjust them

Here's a pic of the bracket from underneath. What looks to be the top is the starboard gunwale.Also attached is a pic of the cable connection to the carbuerator. Not sure of the purpose of that spring, but it looks important and I just know it's gonna want to fly off in some direction as soon as I start loosening it.

How about this brutal yet simple approach? Since I 'm replacing the cables (and probably the shifter as well), why not just reach up there with a nice pair of bolt cutters and snip those cables as close to the bracket as I can reach. Any downside to that solution?

As always, thanks for the advice!

shifter_bracket.jpgthrottle_connection.jpg

have never known of a control box that didnt pull out from the boat with cables attached. I doubt a factory tech would install a control and then try to install the cables and adjust them

Have seen boats where subsequent runs of wires and use of hold downs/cable ties prevents getting enough usable slack at the helm. Besides, attaching cables to shifter and then running them allows a shorter,cheaper cable, especially since you do all of the adjusting necessary on a Volvo from the engine and drive ends of the cables.

Re: the spring... likely on the throttle cable. That spring makes idle adjustments (at the carb) easier and insures that the throttle plates are closed all the way against the idle adjust screw at the carb when the throttle lever is in the "idle" position.

Last edited:
that plate is part of the control box and comes out with it, I`d say the spring is there to hold the throttle plate closed when the control cable is pulled inward instead of having the cable force the plate closed.
Sometimes you have to remove the handle first to have access to the main mounting screws/bolts

Back