Logo

1997 60 hp mercury outboard trim tilt

Wildboy

I have a question about my trim tilt. I just change the motor on my trim tilt and the ram on the hydrolic cylinder was all the way down. I added fluid to the screw hole of the motor and when I try to trim up the rod does not move. I am trying to lift it so I can connect it to my outboard. The trim motor is working when i press up or down but the rod isnt, I am just wondering what I am doing wrong? All the oil was drained and I cannot pull the rod up by hand when I loosen the right side relief screw. Thanks. I was trying to attach a picture but not sure how.

What were the symptoms before the motor replacement? Maybe the pump is not producing pressure. Maybe the cylinder is damaged. Was there any contamination in the fluid?

Last edited:
The top of the old motor was broken off. I don't think the motor is the issue. Before I disassembled the unit I was able to move the outboard motor by hand. Not sure about the contamination but I think most of the fluid drained out. I think it might have something to do with the plastic pressure relief screw on the side. I was wondering if it should be in all the way till it is tight or does it need to be out a bit for the ram to work.

If the motor was broken off, what caused that to happen and did it trim and tilt properly before that? How long did it sit while it was broken, was it out in the rain?

Back