Logo

Exhaust fumes in cabin?

footbrake

Contributing Member
Here's something that has been happening this year. I have a Chris Craft 251 Catalina, inboard ,350 mercruiser. I've notice a strong exhaust fume smell in the cabin area when I dock the boat after being out for a while. Nothing while running , just after docking. Where would this be coming from? The engine in well in back of the cabin area. It's not raw gas smell but definitely exhaust. Last season I replaced both manifolds and risers and didn't notice it last year at all.

BTW - to answer your direct question, there will be one or more drain holes in your cabin to drain any water into the bilge. What is likely happening is that while docking, exhaust gases are accumulating in the bilge (not good!) and coming into the cabin via those drains. Find the exhaust leak. In the meantime, turn on your blowers while docking.

BTW - to answer your direct question, there will be one or more drain holes in your cabin to drain any water into the bilge. What is likely happening is that while docking, exhaust gases are accumulating in the bilge (not good!) and coming into the cabin via those drains. Find the exhaust leak. In the meantime, turn on your blowers while docking.
I have opened the hatches when docking and there are no exhaust fumes or gas smell in the bilge at all. No exhaust leak

Back