Logo

Trying to find correct part no. for 270 pinion gear needle bearing

latemodel

I am rebuilding a water damaged Volvo Penta 270 outdrive, Serial 2745789C, built around 1975. It’s a dual bearing PDS and it was attached to a Waukesha assembled power pack that included a 165 HP Ford 302. We couldn’t find any numbers on the engine other than the Ford serial and casting numbers that indicate the engine was built in 1975. Apparently, Waukesha bought out all or part of PCM to get into the recreational boat business. PCM eventually bought the business back.
The boat is a Spacecraft Royal Flush. Only two were built. This pic is the dual steering prototype. We believe the one we have is the single steering production model.
I have to replace the lower unit pinion gear needle bearing and the all of the parts diagrams I can find call out for a 183497 bearing. I found some pics on ebay of that bearing, but it looks different that what I removed. It appears that that the 183497 has an inner and outer race and a needle carrier. The original one has no inner race, the inner race is part of the gear, and there is an upper and lower needle thrust washer.
I finally found a number in a 270 diagram that called out a 183394 bearing. I only found one pic for it. VP diagrams call it obsolete. It doesn’t really look much different from the 183497.
I may be missing something here, this is my first VP lower unit teardown. I have called a couple of dealers, but they didn’t want to get involved.
Any information is appreciated.

Don

Attachments

• 183394.jpg
    183394.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 183497.jpg
    183497.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 15
  • Royal Flush 68.jpg
    Royal Flush 68.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 9