Logo

2004 90 saltwater 2 stroke

ahgilbert1030

Boat will not get on plane and run. We have had the carbs rebuilt and new fuel lines installed. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and spark plugs. I have also ran 1 gallon of gas with a can of sea foam thru the motor to try and clean out any other issues. Compression checked out at 105-110 each cylinder. Before changing out spark plugs you could remove/replace the wires for each one individually and the motor would continue to run for the top and middle plugs but when you removed the third plug the engine shut off. I swapped the coils around and the problem did not follow to the other cylinders so i am assuming the coils are good. I replaced the spark plug and then you could unplug the bottom one and the motor would continue to run. With the motor in neutral or with the water hose connected to the boat you can rev the engine up with no problem but when you put it in gear it just can't seem to get enough power to get up on plane. When the problem originated it would get up on plane the first time you tried but after a short while it would begin to lose power and seem as though it was bogging down, now it tries but never gets up and runs. Any help on what i can look at next or try to resolve the issue. Thanks in advance!

I hope not!!! as fuel pump is #2 cylinder driven. It sounds like a fuel issue possible on boat side so test run on portable tank, They will rev up fine on a hose as no load on engine.

Back