Logo

2005 mercury pro kicker 9.9 hp 4 stroke engine - how to remove lower leg to replace impeller?

cizara

I want to replace the impeller and have removed the 4 nuts under the cavitation plate and also disconnected the gear linkage at the mid-point. It won't drop down but shows signs of separating at the joint. Without having a manual for it yet, is there something else that needs to be loosened or removed for the drive shaft and lower leg to drop down completely or is it just seized in there a bit?
Thanks for your help!

Is there a bolt on top of the front of the driveshaft housing holding the front of the gear housing?

Just noticed a bolt on the front of the driveshaft housing, just above the second plate which lies above the cavitation plate. I think you may have the answer. I will try that now. Thanks!

Hi kimcrwbr1, well I removed that bolt at the front and tried to pry the leg off, but it is still held fast at the front edge of the gearbox. I am wondering if the driveshaft is stuck inside the engine at the top or held by a bolt etc? I did take the starter motor off but couldn't see any obvious connection holding the two from separating. I don't want to force it too much in case I break something and did try prying the lower casing apart, but it is held at the front edge and loose at the back. I know I need a manual but trying to do this soon.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi kimcrwbr1, well I removed that bolt at the front and tried to pry the leg off, but it is still held fast at the front edge of the gearbox. I am wondering if the driveshaft is stuck inside the engine at the top or held by a bolt etc? I did take the starter motor off but couldn't see any obvious connection holding the two from separating. I don't want to force it too much in case I break something and did try prying the lower casing apart, but it is held at the front edge and loose at the back. I know I need a manual but trying to do this soon.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks for all your help with this. It turned out that I had removed all the proper nuts to drop the leg - but the two front bolts were so corroded that they held the lower leg in place and only two people prying on it eventually loosened it off and the lower leg dropped down. The bolts are stainless and the casing is aluminum and they were badly "salted" up, enough to make it seem that something else was wrong or attached. It won't happen again as I will be greasing the bolts and replacing the impeller every year, so can stay on top of it. Thanks for the advice though!

Every other year is usually sufficient for the impeller every season even better. Get a jug of saltaway and give it a good flush once back together. Just run it in a barrel with the saltaway in it for half hour or so. After each use put it in a barrel of tap water and let it warm up and disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of fuel. Then your all set for the next outing.

Great advice and I had never heard of Saltaway before, but can see the sense in flushing it out once in a while. Glad I ran into you and many thanks again!

Back