Logo

1980 Mercury 200 20hp Float

LoweLine

Howdy Howdy,
New member here and I'm trying to get my engine up and working properly. I could use a little help.
I have a 1980 Mercury 200 20hp, I've rebuilt the lower end early this year and put in new steering bushings, water impeller and other things. Now I'm having trouble with the carb.
What do I set the float at and how do I adjust it?

I was having fuel issues with a leaky gasket. I fixed that but I knocked the float out of adjustment.

Howdy Howdy,
New member here and I'm trying to get my engine up and working properly. I could use a little help.
I have a 1980 Mercury 200 20hp, I've rebuilt the lower end early this year and put in new steering bushings, water impeller and other things. Now I'm having trouble with the carb.
What do I set the float at and how do I adjust it?

I was having fuel issues with a leaky gasket. I fixed that but I knocked the float out of adjustment.

Turn the carb upside down, opposite of mounting direction. measure from lip of carburetor edge to top of float edge, it should be 1/4 " give + or - 1/64". bend the little tab on float to get as close as possible. I have a question for you also. I have the exact engine, it is electric start. Can you tell me where the stationary timing mark is on your engine. I have marks on my flywheel but not on motor, the manual start (recoil) has the on recoil housing, but mine don't have a manual recoil. I have an email if you shoot a photo of it. [email protected]
questions on float let me know, its pretty easy.

Turn the carb upside down, opposite of mounting direction. measure from lip of carburetor edge to top of float edge, it should be 1/4 " give + or - 1/64". bend the little tab on float to get as close as possible. I have a question for you also. I have the exact engine, it is electric start. Can you tell me where the stationary timing mark is on your engine. I have marks on my flywheel but not on motor, the manual start (recoil) has the on recoil housing, but mine don't have a manual recoil. I have an email if you shoot a photo of it. [email protected]
questions on float let me know, its pretty easy.

Mine's manual recoil. I can't help. Sorry, wish I could. Thanks for your help though. I do appreciate it.

Clamp the carb in a vise, hook your tank to it, and pump away. If it floods, drop the float level a 1/16 inch at a time until it stops.

Easier that way then....you know.

Jeff

Thank y'all very much! I do appreciate the help. Got a gasket set today and I'll have that soon and hopefully be out on the lake soon.

Just thought I'd post an update. Engine runs great now. Fast and smooth. It's much easier to start. About 4 pulls when cold and usually half a pull anytime after. Spent thee weekend out fishing and had a great time. Thank you.
Now my father wants to add an electric start. Any idea on where I can get a starter motor or which motor I need? The rest I can find.

Back