Logo

Engine stalls in reverse and will not restart for an hour

StymieBoater

I've found a similar thread, but it's old and poster did not indicated whether any suggestions worked. Other posts left out too many details, so here goes.

Mercruiser 7.4 with Bravo Two drive.

Engine stalls when shifting to reverse only. Forward works fine. The engine will turn but wont restart. It's left me sitting in water for an hour waiting for it to decide to reatart. Almost like it's flooded.

Here's the kicker. It only does this in the water. When Im at home and have the muffs on it, it runs,/shifts, great, which builds up confidence for heading to the nearest launch ramp. As I back it off the trailer, it croaks on me again.

I would agree with lower cable adjustment suggestions if I could duplicate the problem at home on the muffs. Again, this only happens in reverse and in the water. I'm curious in both what's wrong and why it only happens in reverse and only in the water. Logic dictates water is getting somewhere it shouldnt, but that doesnt tell me why it doesnt happen in forward too.

Last edited:
There is no shift interrupter with a Bravo And years ago I had a motor doing the same thing.Completely baffled me to no end.
There is no reason for this explanation but removing the tach wire from the coil cured it.Damm this would stall in reverse but not forward.

You're right. That makes no sense.

Just to clarify, were you also unable to duplicate this problem on the muffs? Seems if the tach wire could resolve this, I should be experiencing this in the front yard too, not just in the water.

Back