Logo

Paper clip trick? Honda 250 (2016) - to figure out what the check engine alarm is about

gmac2

HI - I have a 2016 Honda 250 *SN BBJ1004073- I have a check engine alarm coming on. Not sure if it is a service alert or what. I have read about the paper clip trick - but not clear on how (or if) that could be used to help diagnose the issue. I do have the instructions on how to reset the hour counter for the service alerts and will do that next time I am at the boat. The engine has about 260 hours on it.

Motor starts and runs fine - pees strong - temps are fine (a little over 175 F after a few minutes at 4500 rpms) - no rpm limitation or anything like that.

It's a ways from a shop that can plug it in to see what the trouble code is - so I am trying to see what I can do before I have a chance to get it in to a shop.

Questions:
1) Can I use the paper clip trick to help diagnose the issue? If so - can someone talk me through how - or direct me to a post that describes that?
2) If I reset the hour counter (key on, in F or R, push and release the kill switch 5 x in 20 sec) - and the alarm comes back on after that- can I just assume that there is actually an issue that needs to be addressed (e.g., O2 sensor)?

Thank you - love this forum - have learned a ton.

Geoff

Can you tell me about the alarm, is it constant or intermittant,does it come on straight away or after idling for a while?

A constant alarm is either oil pressure or overheat, nothing else. If it's a regular beep beep and it occurs after extended idling but does not occur if you start the engine and get going immediately then you can be almost certain it's the O2 sensor. What happens is the heater in the sensor fails and the exhaust is too cold at idle for the sensor to function.

A constant alarm is either oil pressure or overheat, nothing else. If it's a regular beep beep and it occurs after extended idling but does not occur if you start the engine and get going immediately then you can be almost certain it's the O2 sensor. What happens is the heater in the sensor fails and the exhaust is too cold at idle for the sensor to function.
Very helpful - thank you. I will check next time out- (weds) and report back. Now I am doubting whether it was constant or beeping- because it comes on when engine has been idling about 5 minutes and then shortly after accelerating onto plane.

Update, tried the suggestion of going from start to going immediately and did not get the alarm. Then did paper clip trick and got a code of 1. Have an HO2S oxygen sensor on the way. Thinking that is it. Thank you iang6766!

use a paper clip (or the SCS tool) to short the two slots on the left side of the DLC connector as you face the engine. If you search the forum you will find some better descriptions. I will try to attach a photo of the page in my shop manual that describes the procedure. There is a cap/dummy on the DLC connector that you have to take off first - then insert the paper clip into upper left and lower left, then turn key to on position (without starting), after a few seconds the MIL (check engine) light will blink in some sequence. Those are described in the shop manual as well.
attachment.php

Attachments

• read DTC with MIL.jpg
    read DTC with MIL.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 176
update - I bought the Dr H and looked at the DTC - it was an HO2S (heated O2 sensor) and replaced with the $207 Honda part from Boats.net. Reset DTC and ran it a couple times - no alarms - all seems good. Old O2 sensor came out and new one went in easily.

update - I bought the Dr H and looked at the DTC - it was an HO2S (heated O2 sensor) and replaced with the $207 Honda part from Boats.net. Reset DTC and ran it a couple times - no alarms - all seems good. Old O2 sensor came out and new one went in easily.

How many hrs? I'm thinking about repowering with 2016 BF250. How's the motor so far?

260 hours. Engine has been pretty good - the two issues have been leaky lower unit (taken apart and all seals once, upper seal 2nd time, and o ring on water pump housing third time) and the O2 sensor. I'll know in a couple weeks if we finally have a lower unit that is not making milk.

Back