Logo

2002 150 OptiMax Saltwater Compression?

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
Customer bought at auction, motor was taken off boat and came separately??? Minnesota boat....never in salt water. No information given by auction house. Boat fair, motor clean but cowling scratched. Prop shaft bent .030 and looks like it had been backed into a rock, skeg damage...no prop included. Oil reservoir had some water contamination and a brown watery oil inside. Cap had to be removed with a pipe wrench.....plastic debris in threads of cap. Some dirt in oil. Cold compression at 70 degrees F. 90 to 100 psi with all plugs out and WOT. Cylinders look well lubed. Gas smells okay in boat tank. One plug wire had been replaced and rust in three other boots at plug end. Belt looks tight and good condition. No noises when I spin it over.
Does this have adequate cold compression? Are there problems I can check for before hanging it back on boat and trying to start it with fresh, clean oil? What is the recommended oil for this monster? Are they any good of an outboard to begin with? Customer has no clue, nor do I.
Thanks for any help....Tim

So for a cold compression, you feel that is adequate? The owner has no idea why they took the motor off because he buys things at some goofy auctions and doesn't pursue information. He brought by a 90 hp Merc 4 stroke with no controls that he wants me to mount on the boat if the OptiMax is bad. He thinks the controls are the same, I told him "no way". The 90 is a 2004. I am looking for controls for that one too. Thanks, Tim

Installing motor on boat. There is small oil line that comes from the top of the reserve reservoir and goes to a tee below the reservoir, the second leg of the tee is open????? The 3rd leg of the tee has a line going out the front of the motor which has been plugged off. I know that the crankcase pressure goes to the external oil reservoir and then that pressure feeds the oil into the motor. Is there any good drawings that show proper oil line routing? Thanks, Tim

Last edited:
Back