Logo

3hp Lightwin Prop won't Spin

brait97

I have a 1963 3hp Lightwin that the prop stopped spinning.
When the motors is running it is pumping water.
I took the lower unit off and when I spin the prop the drive shaft turns.
The shear pin is in place.
Any ideas what could be wrong?

Gut reaction was stripped drive shaft splines. But that isn't it because it still pumps water. (are you sure??)
About the only thing left is the rubber clutch ring in the prop. But that would be extremely unusual to fail.

What did you find ??

I would like to thank fdrgator for the drive shaft advice.
I just got back to working on it and I was mistaken. The waterpump is not working.

Update: After removing the lower unit a few timesand inserting the drive shaft into the crankshaft I was able toget the prop to turn when I pulled the cord (sparkplug wiresremoved). When I put it into a tub of water and ran the motor theprop would not turn.
Before I buy a driveshaft is thereanything else I can try to insure it is thedriveshaft?
Also, I see there are 2 drive shafts in the parts liststandard and long.
My SN is 3034-07467.
Is that standard orlong?

I would like to thank fdrgator for the drive shaft advice.
I just got back to working on it and I was mistaken. The waterpump is not working.

Update: After removing the lower unit a few timesand inserting the drive shaft into the crankshaft I was able toget the prop to turn when I pulled the cord (sparkplug wiresremoved). When I put it into a tub of water and ran the motor theprop would not turn.
Before I buy a driveshaft is thereanything else I can try to insure it is thedriveshaft?
Also, I see there are 2 drive shafts in the parts liststandard and long.
My SN is 3034-07467.
Is that standard orlong?

ITYWF that 3034 is a 1960 model , not 1963, but the drive shaft for the 1963 model replaces the obsolete shaft of the 1960 model

Standard shaft AFAIK but a long shaft model is easily recognized by the 5" extension between the gear case and the main part of the leg. ( see the picture below taken from the parts lists)

0310355.jpg

Inspect the shaft before you buy a new one though to be sure of the diagnosis

If the top driveshaft splines are damaged (you don't say what you found), that problem usually damaged the crankshaft splines also... hence a no grabbing power between the crankshaft and the driveshaft which would cause the water pump and prop operation to not exist.

Purchasing a driveshaft alone may not cure your problem. Remove the powerhead to inspect the crankshaft splines.

If this is your problem (top splines-both) it is normally caused by someone failing to install the top driveshaft "O" Ring and/or not applying grease to the top driveshaft splines (water has access to splines = rust!).

Back