Logo

Johnson/Evinrude motor oils...

Jeffress77

[FONT=&quot]So my oil injection reservoir is getting low and it’s time to get more oil. The past 3 gallons I have used were the Johnson Evinrude XD50 (Premium synthetic blend 2 cycle - TC-W3) This is a 1996 Johnson 90HP V4 J90ELEDR.

I don’t have any J/E dealers close by and I hate spending extra cash for dealer prices so I ordered a gallon from walmart.com for 27.00 plus free shipping) Well the merchant cancelled the order because they were out of stock. I work down the road from a Walmart and I had to buy something so I went to their automotive section and found this other Evinrude/Johnson oil with basically identical specs and I bought some... so I decided to call a dealer to see what the deal was and he said “I don’t know what that oil is but you need to use XD50 for that engine.” So now I am just wondering if it is the same stuff in different packaging? My engine is literally like brand new and runs and looks that way. I just want to make sure...

Photos:
IMG_2124.jpgIMG_2123.jpgIMG_2122.jpg
[/FONT]

If it has the TCW3 you should be good to go IMHO!
Yes thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I was just hoping there would be a bunch of folks like yourself that would agree, or at least have an opinion. I am still very surprised nobody else has any input on these.

I have had very good success with Penzoil XLF Premium Semi-Synthetic oil. Have used it for many years, and have recommended it to customers with very good feedback for years.

It's all I use in my carb engines. In my 200 and 150 HP direct injection engines, I only use Evinrude XD 100. There is no substitute for that oil.

For conventional systems, the Semi Synthetic oils are the best, in my opinion. Was definitely NOT impressed with the Johnson '2-stroke' oil you have in that last picture. Makes stinky smoke!

Just an opinion, but hope it helps.

Back