Logo

Gen 2 swap into Gen 1 plant 4.3 mercruiser

Jeff Richards

Any issues I should look out for when putting. Gen 2 4.3 mercruiser in place of a Gen 1. I know the coupler will need to be changed. Anything else

By Doctur. Thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard that about the shift shaft. So there is no way to use the Gen 2 mercruiser with the Alpha 1 out drive?

I am swapping the engine out. It is a 1991 Welcraft Eclipse 196. After 25 years of winterizing it with no problems I somehow managed to crack the block last winter. The engine I found came out of a 2004 maxum (?). I want to do a complete swap. I was told I need to swap the coupler and there might be cooling issues.

Thanks for your help Bt Doctur. I'm a chief engineer but work on large slow speed diesels. I'm a little lost on this stuff. I just purchased a 2010 Sea Ray Select with the 5.0 and bravo 3. My son inherited the boat and the problems. I'm enlisting the help of a friend with experience with marine engines. I trust his judgement but the change out motor needs a few touch ups and before he puts any more money into it I wanted to make sure the engines are interchangeable.

Swapping the engine may need some other parts swap. When engine is out, check the bell housing to see if they are identical. You may also have to change exhaust risers. All 4.3 longblocks are the same except if it is a Vortec or non Vortec.I just finished replacing the 4.3 engine in my 1986 Wellcraft 196 Elite to a 1989 4.3 (fresh rebuild, top and bottom end). All I had to do was reuse front motor mounts and the risers. Everything else was identical.

Back