Logo

Johnson Raw Water pump F5B-9 - seems wobbly & Off center

I just installed a new/used 305 V8, sporting a brand new crankshaft-driven Johnson f5B-9 raw water pump.

My Bayliner dealer test-started the engine and thought the pump was excessively wobbling. He thought it had a wrong (or modified) supporting arm bracket on it, so he changed that out to a "correct" bracket, which he said fixed most of the wobble. "Way better than it was."

I floated the boat and fired it up.

Because I 'm obsessive, I called him about the remaining wobble I saw. He told me these pumps, and mounting pulleys, are never really perfect, and there's always some bit of wobble.

I'd guess it's gyrating like it's 1/8" off of "perfect center" axis. ( I took a video, but do you think I can load it here? no way.)

Your thoughts... do they all vibrate to some degree?

I just installed a new/used 305 V8, sporting a brand new crankshaft-driven Johnson f5B-9 raw water pump.

My Bayliner dealer test-started the engine and thought the pump was excessively wobbling. He thought it had a wrong (or modified) supporting arm bracket on it, so he changed that out to a "correct" bracket, which he said fixed most of the wobble. "Way better than it was."

The anti-torque arm has ZERO to do with any pump body wobble.

I floated the boat and fired it up.

Because I'm obsessive, I called him about the remaining wobble I saw. He told me these pumps, and mounting pulleys, are never really perfect, and there's always some bit of wobble.
I'd call BS on that !

I'd guess it's gyrating like it's 1/8" off of "perfect center" axis. ( I took a video, but do you think I can load it here? no way.)
1/8" is excessive...... very excessive!

Your thoughts... do they all vibrate to some degree?
My guess would he may not fully understand the three bolt pattern and three possible ways to index the pump mounting flange (of which only 1 is correct), the two raised alignment dowels, and how to "phase" the pump flange onto the raised dowels.

By the way, you should not be paying for a shop's errors. The anti-torque arm did not fix the wobble..... correct? :eek:

Take a look at these images that I put together to help explain the indexing.

Attachments

• Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook 2 .jpg
    Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook 2 .jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 72
  • SBC crankshaft pulley.jpg
    SBC crankshaft pulley.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook.jpg
    Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 43
last one I installed did the same wobbly thing, machined up inserts and pressed them in
If there is room you can also do this
DSCN4254.jpg

Back