Logo

Journey 303.. Twin Chrysler 360's

Tifoez

After a few months of research, I've determined that even though our drives are older than we are, will cost 50-90% more to maintain, we plan to retain everything as close to the day she was first splashed, we call her "Journey 303" and she is our home..
When first posting on a forum, I never know if I should just get to the facts, or if the community prefers a longer post with some of the mystery and history involved.. Since I currently add this to the Chrysler thread, I'll stick mainly to our drives..

((editorial note: I started learning mechanics, and various trade skills around the age of 7.. I am completely confident on my automotive knowledge, however this is my first exposure to marine applications..))

I was able to determine that the engines may have been replaced due to the block casting numbers and dates
Starboard Port
Block casting# 4179930-360-7 4006830-360?
casting date 3-20-79 10-29-76
Intake mani 2846704(l)3 2846704(/)3

Before anyone has the chance to call it like it is, yes we are crazy.. To date, we've had the starboard running with no issues, however we've gone 5 miles out onto Lake Michigan without ever hearing the port fire up.. I'm chasing all the quick, cheap fixes from the previous owner, without hauling out for a complete "start to finish" restoration..
With that said, you all should realize that we call her Journey because she is an adventure in every way.. Now, with all the time, love, hard work, and dedication she needs, we will not complain that we only paid $303 for her!!

After Journey was paid for and the title transferred, we visited our local marina to inquire about slips and winter hard storage.. After hearing the story, our harbormaster said we stole the boat, and more importantly the drives..
At this point, I have too many questions to post at one time, just wanted to introduce us, our Journey, and some details on the unfamiliar, and promise to pick your brains for an entire week starting 6/27 when we return to the Journey!!

port1.jpgstar1.jpgJourney303 Forever.jpg

engines1.jpgtrans1.jpgtrans2.jpg

I'm not certain if I was intending on asking any questions with my post. I do know they are 360s but I'm still researching the drives, I'll admit to not looking into them because as of now the starboard is operational and the port has yet to be fired. I just wanted to show off our Journey..

OK.... I know that you are not asking questions and perhaps you are not asking for any advice from us. However, I can't maintain a good conscience if I say nothing to you!

First and foremost...... if you plan to take this boat out any distance from the dock, SAFETY should be first on your list.
1..... your electrical wiring/cabling is a mess. I would suggest that you learn about Marine Electrical and clean this up and make it safe.
2..... your Delco 10si alternators are automotive. These will not only be dangerous within a gasoline engine bay, they are illegal for gasoline engine inboard use. If you are inspected, these will stick out like a sore thumb!
3..... the small fuel filter that is in the pressurized side of the fuel line is illegal. Gasoline fuel filters must be up-stream of the fuel pump.
4..... your MBSS is mounted in the engine bay. This should be easily and quickly accessible from outside of the engine bay.
5..... your starter motors are the old Bendix Style. These are Amp hungry motors, and will typically NOT start an engine if the battery voltage is at all low. If you should replace them, do so with the HTGR/PMGR starter motors.
6..... 120 VAC male and female plug connectors should not be used within the engine bay. 120 VAC devices must be USCG approved and should be hard wired if they are mounted within the engine bay.

Be careful operating on one engine only. It would be very easy to over-burden one engine. Go slow!
That having been said..... operating on one engine only puts you at risk of not being able to maneuver well and quickly in a potentially dangerous scenario.

I know that you are excited about the boat. Think safety first, and think pleasure after all has been updated and made safe.

Have fun.

"
I'm not certain if I was intending on asking any questions with my post."

LoL, Well, a casting number and displacement followed by a question mark kinda' suggests it.

Not sure about the "illegal" fuel filter, it's how fuel diagrams & two other Chrysler powered boats at our club are set up..

Yes, I have A LOT of wiring and cleaning to do, and I don't go anywhere that I don't have at least 4 other people at the club aware of my test-float plans, no pleasure cruises..

Dave69, the question mark after the casting # is to reflect a digit that I cannot read/translate..

Finally, this is a $303 boat..

I did NOT add ANY parts, or put foot to ass in any space to bring her ANYWHERE close to where I would call water-worthy, but she is floating and progress is being made..

I took no offense to yalls suggestions, and I hope my reply was as informative as I intended, and please keep the comments rollin' because yall will catch stuff I overlook!!

Not sure about the "illegal" fuel filter, it's how fuel diagrams & two other Chrysler powered boats at our club are set up..
I would double-check that!
This is an older boat, and some aspects may not have been built to today's standards.

With the higher pressure fuel systems, (TBI, FI, MPI, etc) a filter and fuel line of special design is allowed.
However, and to my recollection..... any type of filter that installs within the pressure side of the low pressure "carburetor" fuel delivery system (i.e., between fuel pump and carburetor) would not meet the USCG requirements.
But again..... double check this!
The other "not as good" aspect of this would be the low square area of filtration media, as apposed to a larger and true marine filter cartridge.

Yes, I have A LOT of wiring and cleaning to do, and I don't go anywhere that I don't have at least 4 other people at the club aware of my test-float plans, no pleasure cruises..
Good

I took no offense to yalls suggestions, and I hope my reply was as informative as I intended, and please keep the comments rollin' because yall will catch stuff I overlook!!
We all have your safety in mind! :D

Progressive, covered in all of US & up to 75 miles from our coast.. Family safety is our first priority also ;)

As far as the filter in the pressurized side of our lines, we are up on Lake Michigan, and I believe it is legal for our area, but we plan to EVENTUALLY cruise all of the waters in the US, so at some point it'll all be redone.. Since she is twin screw, I'll be replacing everything in pairs, so it'll even take me longer to do correctly.. Being only $303, we are glad she runs ;)

X2 on Rick's observations.

You asked about the drives...From limited view in pics, the orientation of engines and the design of shifter tells me that they're likely Paragon V-drive transmissions. Similar, but not as widely used as Velvet Drives. (Heavy beasts-have a helper and sure footing if you plan to pull them out-especially when you lift them over the gunnel.) If I recall correctly, I think that the clutch packs are equal size (forward/reverse), so shifter determines direction based on engine rotation, rather than pump orientation.

I don't see them a magical barn find. Rebuild parts may be tough to come by. But they're stout and capable.

Oh, aligning the V's is a challenge. Get a good flashlight to hold in your teeth. :D Good luck.

Last edited:
I respect everyones opinions and value all the information I can gather.. I will be replacing/rebuilding most of the engine bay.. Thank you Rick & Noel for the advice that even though it MAY be legal, it is a poor choice to ensure trouble free fuel systems, the filters will definitely be first in redesigning the wiring & fuel..

Noel, million Thank yous for the advice on the drives, and if anyone would like me to take specific pictures, please let me know, I'm excited to learn everything I can!!

Robbie

P.S. is it "normal" to have "extensions" on the wiring harness? I removed TWO "extensions" from the wiring harness.. I call it an extension because it is a one piece from end to end, and has matching connections on both ends (wiring on the left).. Also I removed the wiring on the right, the nut and bolt made it obvious that it was a "temporary fix" that was never fixed correctly..

36865274_1740855009317555_3781949902217543680_n.jpg

I'll get an updated picture of the top of the motor where the wiring is, and another of the charging/fuel area when I get back to the "Journey"
once again, I greatly appreciate the info and advice, and can't wait until the "Journey" is in better shape than the day she was sold!!

I'll say it again:
The little in-line filters offer a very small square area of filter media. You will do much better with a cartridge style marine fuel filter that is installed immediately after the fuel tank outlet.
The way in which these little in-line filters install into an existing flexible fuel line adds one more potential point of failure.

Your call!

Back