Logo

Johnson 225 dies when key is released

gunsgunsguns

I have a 1993 Ocean Runner 225 that starts easily then dies when key is released from "start" position to "run" position. Same occurs when kill switch and shift interrupt switch are disconnected. And same when port temp sensor is disconnected. I also replaced the ignition switch. I still get the same problem. I double checked the function of the new ignition switch and all is according to specs. I recently replaced the flywheel, stator, timer base and power pack because they were all bad. I'm completely baffled at this point. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

^^^^ BUMP
Mike... I received you PM explanation, however I retired in 1991 so your wiring setup may have changed from what I'm accustomed to so I'm bumping this back to the top shelf for the more knowledgeable members of your 93 model to view.

Thanks Joe. A guy at CDI suggested I disconnect the yellow/red stripe wire that comes out from the power pack. I tried it and it ran, briefly. It wouldn't start after that. More trouble shooting tomorrow.

Unplug the wiring harness and jump the solenoid . If it starts and run the keyswitch is the problem.!! MAKE SURE WATER IS HOOKED UP!!

Back