Logo

Flywheel randomly sticks

cyber_ecco

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a 2010 Mercury 15HP 4stroke with electric start. Recently had some white smoke from outboard so I did a head gasket change and that problem is solved. Compression is good across both cylinders. Motor runs great (no more white smoke) and I am able to start the motor fine with electric start. Recently noticed though if I pull start cord sometimes the cord gets stuck (not every time, randomly about every 3-4 pulls). When the cord gets stuck and I release the cord it retracts and then it will pull fine again for couple pulls before same thing happens. Tried turning flywheel by hand and noticed about every 3-4 turns it gets stuck. When the cord doesn't get stuck the motor will start fine with pull start. Always starts perfectly with electric start. Motor seems to run perfect otherwise. Any ideas? Will also note I never noticed this problem prior to head gasket change, but to be honest I almost always use electric start so I can't say for sure problem started after head gasket change.Thanks!

Last edited:
Back