Logo

Tilt/Trim Removal

FFMedic75

Good Evening! Have a leak coming from the port (t/t motor) side of the assembly and have questions about removal. Removed clips, and bolts, etc and the assembly won’t tilt out since it catches on the edge of the t/t motor (where the wiring pops out of the case). Is this normal? Or perhaps this t/t motor is an aftermarket?

So I go back to my manual and see I should be able to slide the bolt from the lower cylinder bushing section to remove the entire unit... bolt removed and... the unit isn’t coming out. The wave washers have something to do with it?

I now see (in the diagram) there’s a lower cylinder collar - perhaps that’s made its way into a stern bracket and is holding the unit up? Rubber mallet didn’t help but it did pop the t/t motor off the pump assembly. Unit is covers with a garbage bag until the new t/t motor comes in.

Tomorrow ill I’ll go back out and see if the collar moved into a stern bracket in addition to any other suggestions...

You are going to have to unbolt one of the mounting brackets and remove the tilt tube nut then slide it over. In other words, you have to move the brackets apart to get that bottom piece out.

For safety, you should support the engine when you do this.

Mike

Understood.... That's what I was afraid of! I'm think I can access all the bolts for the pump assembly with leaning the unit out (and not removing the unit completely). That should allow me to change the gaskets between the pump assembly and unit. Otherwise, I'll be changing the pump motor and gasket only. We'll then see if the leak is still present. Although the forward port bolt wasn't very tight and there's a greater amount of discoloration and rust at that corner.

Thanks for both the info and safety check, Mike!

Not sure what size engine you are dealing with, but the last time I changed out a pump motor on a BF 50, I had to remove the entire assembly to get to all the t/t/ motor bolts. And I had to use an impact driver to get them loose.

BTW - a good support for the engine when you loosen the bracket is a step ladder. Slide the bottom part of the leg between the appropriate steps.

Back