Logo

Volvo 280 outboard problem!

Lukewarm1980

While out on the water last weekend I lost Steering on my out drive! No matter which way I turn the steering wheel the outboard will not respond everything behind the motor on the transome seems to be working smoothly.... If anybody can give me some type of direction on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

More info please..... such as .....
Is the steering cable travel ok?
Is the cable operating the spindle arm?
Is the spindle arm moving the collar steering fork?
Is the collar steering fork operating the helmet Port and Stbd?

Last edited:
Its a very simple " thigh bone connected to the hip bone" system... wheel turns internal drum or rack at helm.... cable moves... in back, that cable moves and pushes or pulls spindle arm ( aka tiller arm).... tiller arm rotates collar steering fork
(on outside of boat)... collar steering fork moves "steering helmet".... steering helmet moves drive left/right.

somewhere there is a disconnect...

Yes the tiller arm moves freely left to right! Unfortunately I can't get hands on till Sunday! It must be the collar fork or the helmet then! I'm guessing there's a ton of labor involved? Thanks for the feedback everybody! Wish me luck!

Yes the tiller arm moves freely left to right! Unfortunately I can't get hands on till Sunday! It must be the collar fork or the helmet then! I'm guessing there's a ton of labor involved? Thanks for the feedback everybody! Wish me luck!

The Spindle Arm is secured to the collar steering fork shaft via a 3/8" NC Grade #8 "pinch bolt". The pinch bolt squeezes the spindle arm onto the fork's shaft.

The spindle arm and the collar steering fork are also indexed to each other via very fine splines. (must be indexed @ 90* to each other)
The Spindle Arm is steel....... the collar steering fork is aluminum.

Occasionally we will see a pinch bolt that was not tightened correctly........ or we will see that th
e pinch bolt "slot" is often too short, not allowing for enough "squeeze".......... or, we will see corrosion that has compromised the otherwise tight connection...... or a combination of all.

280 spindle arm and fork.jpg

When you have a chance, look to see if the spindle arm pinch bolt is loose, and/or if the spindle arm is slipping against the collar steering fork shaft!
A dead-give-a-way will be if the collar steering fork has dropped any.
The V-ring seal (SEQ #4 in the schematic) should be rather snug against the transom shield surface.

If you see a space here, the fork may have dropped indicating a loose connection.
If so, I would pull the collar steering fork out and examine the aluminum splines. Replace the fork if need be.
I would also increase the length of the pinch bolt "slot" so that the pinch bolt can create a better "squeeze" onto the fork's splined shaft.

This would also be a great time to replace the two plastic bushings and the V-ring seal.
Since the transmission will be removed, this is also a great time to replace the drive shaft bellows.

Back