Logo

2006 6.0 Captain's Choice Starting problem

pwilbur49

from time to time, when trying to start my starboard engine, the customary buzzer will not sound and only the check engine light illuminates (all others do not). The engine will turn over but will not start. additionally, on 2 occasions, the engine has quit while idling and had to restart. Once it even quit momentarily while underway. i have replaced all the relays. My boat is a 2006 Tiara 2900. I have a feeling it may be a sensor? (crank sensor?). Any suggestions on where to start? (moving from easy to more difficult/expensive)

The buzzer could be driven from the ECU or somewhere along the line an independent system could have been installed.....so without the details its hard to say....

I'd put what you are describing into the 'intermiitent' catagory and they can be very painful to resolve. I'd be inclined to get a good scan tool (RINDA) and do a thorough diagnostic test.....then if that's ok, take the boat out with the scanner and start monitoring the various sensor outputs looking for anomolies....If you search the WWW, you should be able to find a copy of the MEFI-4 delphi manual - it outlines a proven procedure very well...

Search on the web for "Pirate 4x4 MEFI" An excellent article that is worth reading and in that is the magic link to the real MEFI 4/4B Diagnostic Manual. This is the bible for your engine. Download and print double sided since it is 336 pages. Put in a 3 ring binder and keep it close to your heart. Read it and you will know more than most about this engine.

But, since you have an intermittent problem it may not help all that much. The manual (and I) will tell you to get an engine scan (only Rinda equipment can do this). I bought a Rinda Techmate which was a good investment but perhaps you can find a mechanic or friend than can do the scan. If the engine actually shut down there should be some code thrown as a clue. If it is a sensor going in and out of range that is easy. But usually that will not shut down an engine. It sounds more like an electrical fault. I had one in one of the 2 large plugs going into the MEFI controller and it was intermittent. These kind of issues take careful inspection and some luck (the manual does show how to take the plugs apart). If you become convinced it is a sensor, then swaping with the good engine is the cheap and easy route. You can even swap the MEFI 4 if it is suspect. When the problem moves to the other engine, you know you have nailed it.

I would also pull the distributor cap on the offending engine to see if anything looks unusual under there. Lots of intermiittent, unusal activity when that get corroded.

And when you do find it, remember the rule of twin engines. The other one will have the same failure within a year. Fix them both.

Good Luck.

I'm amazed and very thankful for the expertise being shared here.....I did have a scan done and not surprisingly, it did not show any codes. Your suggestion of swapping parts with the good engine is great and i will be sure to check the distributor cap as well. thanks again!

I'm amazed and very thankful for the expertise being shared here.....I did have a scan done and not surprisingly, it did not show any codes. Your suggestion of swapping parts with the good engine is great and i will be sure to check the distributor cap as well. thanks again!

I am having the same exact problem that you’re having on my 6.0 2006 Captains choice engine. The way you describe your problems, they are identical to mine. I have been in contact with Carver Yachts and I have talked to several of their technicians. Two of them suggested I look into the crank position sensor. I have also tried contacting crusader with no luck. If I find a solution to my problem and yours I will certainly post please do the same.

parts swapping, without an objective data set, can cost a lot.....did you verify +12VDC at the coils and injectors? Does the fuel pump run? what pressure does it provide in the rail?

Thank you for that suggestion. You are right—parts are expensive! To Pwilbur49–I have solved my starting problem! I spent a entire day locating all of the wires having to do with the ignition switch wires and the check engine light wiring on my bridge. We’re there was a connector plug—I cut it out and spliced it with shrink butt connectors.There were a total of four plastic plug connectors. At the back of the check engine cluster lights I removed that plastic plug-cleaned with a wire brush and applied die-electric grease to make a better connection. I don’t know what wire wasn’t making good contact but I know that was my problem! I’ve turn my key on 30 time or more now and I haven’t had any more problems. Hope this give you a little more info to deal with your problem. Good luck!

Back