Logo

20 HP 1980 Mercury, pulled flywheel with 8 bolts without hub marked, how to postion correctly?

Darby

I made the mistake of pulling the flywheel with 8 bolts that hold hub and flywheel together. Now I'm not sure how to position the flywheel on hub in correct position. (Stupid mistake). Any help please. Also there is no timing pointer on this motor but the flywheel is marked with 3 dots and a straight slash to time, but no engine pointer (mark) for TDC.
1980 20 HP electric start.

Piece of cake. Find top dead center of the top cylinder with a screw driver. Put the flywheel in place and rotate it until the 0 degree mark lines up and pick the closes bolt holes.

Jeff

Jeff, found top dead center and flywheel has 2 marks, but where is the timing mark on engine to set flywhell mark to?

Tried matching paint or other to match no luck. ? Found tdc #1 just cant find engine marker to set flywheel to. It's electric start model, the pull start shows mark on recoil housing but not on electric start.

It doesn't have a recoil housing, it is electric start. had several people to look for stationary pointer with no luck. There must be somewhere to place the flywheel mark to. I'm stumped!

Back