Logo

Honda BF130 water temp

92wahoo

I just installed a reconditioned cylinder head and in the process replaced the thermostat and cleaned out the water jackets and replaced internal annodes. I have only ran the motor on ear muff since I put it back together.

My question is that the top of the head especially the thermostat and flush valve housing is hotter when running then the rest of the head. Infa red themometer reads 135-140% in these areas when the thermostat is a 70% I believe. Is this temp normal or should I pull thermostat and check it? Thermostat came from boats.net and the plastic bag it was in was opened before by others?

I assume you hid the % sign instead of degrees....

You may have a 72 degree C or a 60 degree C thermostat in your motor.

72 degrees C is 161 degrees F
60 degrees C is 140 degrees F

The marking on the thermostat is in centigrade. So, if that is what you are referring to and you are reading the temperature in Fahrenheit, your temperature is ok.

Areas other than the thermostat housing may be somewhat hotter than the housing, itself. Unless, they are way higher, you should be ok.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I am running the cooler 60 degree thermostat. I am just a little paranoid after all of the time & money I just spent and I want to make sure the thermostat is functioning properly which from what you wrote it appears to be.
Thanks again!

Back