Logo

Evinrude "Golsen Jubilee" 10hp Throttle Problem

FXProglJr

My father bought this motor in 1959 and we used it for a few family fishing trips to Moriches Bay every spring/summer through the 1960's and not very much thereafter. I have not used it in many years and prior to trying this year, I cleaned it up a little (the hardest part was the hose to the tank), checked and cleaned up the plugs (they are old), put some fresh gas/oil in the tank (I had cleaned out the tank and the carb before putting it away the last time I used it) and it started right up.....shifts into fwd and reverse and turns the prop. The only thing I noticed was that it was a bit harder than I remembered to turn the throttle. So, I unscrewed the screw that holds the throttle handle onto the end of the steering handle and expected to pull it off to see what was binding. Instead, the screw fell down and the white throttle handle and a spring popped off. I cleaned the handle, put some fresh lube under it and tried to reassemble it. But it seems that I can not push the handle on far enough so the hole in the handle lines up with the hole in the throttle rod underneath - it seems that the spring can not be compressed enough to line up the holes. (There does not seem to be any slack in the rod under the handle and if I put it together without the spring, everything seems to work fine and smooth). What am I missing? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_9800.jpg
    IMG_9800.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 14
Take the white handle off again.------Look way up inside the handle and remove the tapered friction piece in there.-----I think it will then be clear how this is to be assembled.----Look through the hole in top of the flywheel to inspect the coils too.

Re: Evinrude "Golden Jubilee" 10hp Throttle Problem

WOW! thanks for the prompt response, but I must still be missing something. I don;t ever remember taking this handle off before. And today when I took it off (and the screw came out) I only saw 2 pieces shoot about 2 ft across the garage - they were the handle and the spring, When I saw your email, I went right back to the garage and looked in the handle - there is nothing inside. see photo below. I've also added photos of the steering arm (that last piece on the steering arm did not come off - it sits in the end of the arm and is prevented from turning by a key that sits in a slot in the arm) and a photo of the spring and handle. I looked for some kind of friction ring, but couldn't find one. Does the spring look like the correct one? Am I missing some parts?

Attachments

• Picture-1 -020.jpg
    Picture-1 -020.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9805.jpg
    IMG_9805.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 12
WOW! AGAIN.....thanks so much for your help. I reassembled it the way you said and it's fine! Sometime in the distant past I (or my father in the distant, distant past) must have taken this apart and put it back incorrectly. But the notches in the steering arm lined up so well with the friction ring that it appeared to go together that way

Attachments

• IMG_9809.jpg
    IMG_9809.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 15
Slop some waterproof grease on that tapered friction plug before assembling.

There should be a brass flat washer too. It goes over the rod first.
Then the spring
Then the friction plug, eyeball-aligned with the slots
Finally the twist grip, screw hole eyeball-aligned with the flat on the rod.
Push and twist slightly to align everything, hold it while you put the screw in. Caution: It is very easy to cross thread the screw and destroy the threads in the rod.

Back